Black Sex Link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ariel301, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I just got a box of chicks in today, assorted straight run. One is a black chick with a chocolate brown tint to the face, does that sound like a black sexlink pullet? I got them from Townline Hatchery, and of all the breeds they have, that's the only thing that seems to fit.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be. Would have to see a picture.

3. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Australorp maybe... pic?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Australorps won't have brown faces. Mine had more of a penguin face actually, but others can be all black [​IMG]

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Unfortunately I don't have a working camera right now. The breeds available at that hatchery are New Hampshire Red, California Gray, ISA brown, Rhode Island Red, Light Brahma, Barred Rock, Gold and Silver Laced Wyandotte (it doesn't look at all like those, I have some of them too), Buff Orpington, Easter Egger (definitely not one of those, I got some of them and they are way more fluffy than this baby and have ear muffs), Australorp, and Black Sexlink.

If Australorps are not black with a brown face, and it doesn't have the same coloring as the Wyandottes I already got, I can't see it being anything else on that list but black sexlink...right? Since I'm going to be selling a lot of this order, I like to know what I've got.

6. speckledhen

As newly hatched chicks, black sex links look like barred Rock babies except that the female sex link has no spot on the head and the male does (in pure BRs, both sexes have head spots). As newly hatched babies, the black sex links usually don't have brown faces, but later on, they do have brown down their chests.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Australorps won't have brown faces. Mine had more of a penguin face actually, but others can be all black [​IMG]

mine did too, cute little penguin!

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I was looking for a shot of my BSL as a newbie, but only found a 3 week old one, I have two BSL,
    one I almost thought was another Australorp, didn't get her face coloring for a long time, this one
    showed quite early on...they were solid black at chicks if I remember correctly.

here is one at 3 weeks:

[​IMG]

9. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee

mine did too, cute little penguin!

I hae 2. Penny and Gwenny.[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

From that list, sounds like the only thing it could be is a black sex link, then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by