Black Sexlink pullet...right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alycia, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    This little girl was all that was left of someone's flock after they sent all their broilers to butchering. She was lonely, so at this passed chicken club meeting on the 17th of December, we took her home from another flock, quarantined her for a little bit and brought her into our flock, and she got along great with the rest! I am not sure how old she is. For some reason, 18 weeks sticks out in the mind from when we got her, so she is at least 20 something weeks by now, I think -- don't quote me. She looks like a Black Sexlink, I think. But is she is a pullet? I am pretty sure she is, I named her Eve...Please, tell me she is an Eve and not Adam! LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    not sure of the breed, but does look like a pullet

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry - Not a Black Sex-Link or a pullet. Notice the very pointed golden feathers coming out of the neck and the red feathers coming out of the shoulders - Both male traits. It is a mutt of some sort, and a cockerel.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not sure on the sex - if depends a lot on whether you have the age correct. If, indeed, this chicken is 18-20 weeks of age, then I'd say pullet, but..... if it's more like 12-15 weeks, then I'd say cockerel (I don't see the pointed feathers that Illia does - can you post another pic - a sideview that shows her back and tail together?

As for the breed, I'd agree that it's most likely a mix.

5. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    I am going to take some more pictures of the little one. Thanks for your help so far, guys!

She hardly has any tail at all, which is kinda the funny thing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Could it be a young Barnevelder cockerel?

7. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm no expert, but it does look like what my black sex-link pullets looked like at that age.....[​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree,
    I will also add the there is some Gold (red) showing up in the wing bow. (a good indication that it is a rooter)

Chris

9. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Quote:I thought so [​IMG] I looked up pictures and stuff but I don't know much about those kinds of breeds.

10. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    hm.. doesnt look like a sexlink to me. i thought black sexlinks had black legs?
    and im sure they don't have gold anywhere other than their breast.

very cute though :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by