Black Sexlink pullet...right?

Quote:
I agree,
I will also add the there is some Gold (red) showing up in the wing bow. (a good indication that it is a rooter)

Chris

looks like everyone of my black sex-link pullets. yes pullet if it was a male it would be striped like a rock. black sex links are a cross between a RIR roo and rock hen. hen are born black with little of the rir color in its head neck and chest. roos are born striped like a rock.

My Black Star only had the red/brown stipping on the breast too. With black legs and center front toe nail yellow, like it was painted on.

As for the pointed feathers on neck, they are not dramaticaly so and look as pointy as my birds who they are laying eggs so I know they are girls. I'm guessing it's a pullet if indeed 20 weeks of age. A cockrel would be making boy noises by now would'nt it? You'll know for sure in one or two months after she drops an egg.

Last edited:
53131_scrappy3.jpg

This is a picture of my black sex link around the same age. There is no breed standard for these guys since they are mutts. I think the answer is it is a female if it is a black star and if it turns out to be a rooster it is not a black sex link. Just a black mutt chicken....which there are many of out there.

Quote:
I agree,
I will also add the there is some Gold (red) showing up in the wing bow. (a good indication that it is a rooter)

Chris

looks like everyone of my black sex-link pullets. yes pullet if it was a male it would be striped like a rock. black sex links are a cross between a RIR roo and rock hen. hen are born black with little of the rir color in its head neck and chest. roos are born striped like a rock.

Let me correct you here.

yes pullet if it was a male it would be striped like a rock

The term is Barred not, "Striped".

black sex links are a cross between a RIR roo and rock hen

A Black sex-link is a cross between most any solid colored male and a barred type female (Barred Rock, Dominique, Marans or Barred Holland).
Example 1 -
The most common is a R. I. Red Rooster over a Barred Plymouth Rock but you can easily make one out of other breeds also.
Example 2 -
A Partridge Rock rooster over a Barred Rock hen will produce a Black sex-link also.

hen are born black with little of the rir color in its head neck and chest. roos are born striped like a rock

Pullets are Black and may have some rust on there head and or breast but, the cockerels are born Black with a White spot on there head. (They do not have barring until there feathers start to come in)
Here is a great post on Sex-link genes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208]

Now
sgtmck1,
Does your Black sex-links have the Gold in the Wing Bow like the OP's bird is starting to get? The Gold in the Wing Bow is a Sex-Link trait to Males.

#12 in the image below -
33115_nomen.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=343605

Chris​

She looks a lot like a black sex link, but it is the red/gold coloring on the back/wing bow that indicates that something is up. My sex link girls have tons of gold all around the neck, all over the chest, but not ever on the back/wing bow.

I don't know what Chris09 means when he says that
The Gold in the Wing Bow is a Sex-Link trait to Males.

since male black sex links are very clearly barred. But i do agree that she/he isn't a regular black sex link.

I also agree that it looks like a girl if you have the age correct. If you're a few weeks off, i might say it looked like a boy.​

Quote:
since male black sex links are very clearly barred. But i do agree that she/he isn't a regular black sex link.

I also agree that it looks like a girl if you have the age correct. If you're a few weeks off, i might say it looked like a boy.

The two common sex-links are Red (that uses the Gold) and Black (that uses Barring) but there are other sex-link traits like Feather growth, Shank (leg) Color, and Wing Bow. Now some like the Wing Bow dont show up till the birds are a little older but are still considered a sex-link characteristic.

The Wing Bow is a characteristic to Male Breeds only so it is considered a Sex-Link trait and can be seen in a number of breeds.
Examples would be in breed that are;
Partridge,
Penciled,
Gold and Silver Laced,
Silver-Gray (as in Dorking),
Light and Dark Brown (as in Leghorn),
Silver (as in Leghorn),
Black Breasted Red,
Wheaten,
Pyle,
Golden Duck Wing,
Silver Duck Wing,

Chris

Also to add to Chris09's corrections, I specifically said it is NOT a black sex link. I know very well what sex links are . . .
wink.png

This discussion is really great, guys. I appreciate the help and I am enjoying all the good reads
smile.png
I am gonna try to get more pictures of her today, well the hopeful her
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom