sexing 5-week old black australorp

View attachment 3777120View attachment 3777124View attachment 3777121View attachment 3777122hi there everyone! this is my first post, i am new to raising chickens. i have some photos here of a young black australorp chick who just turned 5-week old today and i would appreciate any help with identifying its sex! i got my flock as day-old chicks from a hatchery and she's supposedly a female, but i am a little concerned due to her comb is looking kinda pink and her wattles are starting to show.

because i live in the city in close quarters with neighbors on both sides of my yard, i cannot keep a rooster. she is so, so sweet, serene and cuddly, she plops down whenever she hops onto my arm. she is easily my favorite baby of the flock of 10 and i would be heartbroken if she turned out to be a he!

thank you all for your help ☺️
Does anyone ever try a crow collar? Do they work well enough to keep a rooster in the city limits? I have a handful of roosters since I'm country it doesn't matter, but i feel so bad for you cuz some of my roosters are the sweetest peas. So much personality and they take such good care of their girls.

Does anyone ever try a crow collar? Do they work well enough to keep a rooster in the city limits? I have a handful of roosters since I'm country it doesn't matter, but i feel so bad for you cuz some of my roosters are the sweetest peas. So much personality and they take such good care of their girls.
Threads about no-crow collars appear fairly often on this site.

I've seen posts from people who say they work (reduce the volume of the crowing.)

I've seen posts from people who say they don't work (no effect on the crowing.)

I've seen posts from people with dead roosters, because the collar cut off his breathing, or because he tried to swallow a big piece of something and it got stuck against the tight collar and he couldn't get it up or down. And posts from people that were sure their rooster would die, and took off the collar.

I've seen some posts from people that had one problem after the other: too loose and the crowing is unaffected, any tighter and the rooster looks like he's going to die, so after re-adjusting it a number of times they decide it isn't going to work for their rooster.

I think I saw one post from a person that said the collars work on some roosters but not on others (the person seemed to think it was due to minor physical differences in the roosters, if I remember correctly.) Unfortunately I don't remember who said that, or enough details to easily find it again.

I have never personally tried a no-crow collar, because I decided the chance of having a rooster be alive, healthy, and quiet was probably too low to be worth trying (for me.)

Back
Top Bottom