sexing 5-week old black australorp

stunning girl!!! thank you so much, i have my fingers crossed. my girl is so calm and friendly, she lets me hold her like a glass of red wine lol
Mine is also the most friendly chicken ever. Mine likes to roost on my arm or shoulder like a pirate parrot. 🏴‍☠️
1000002019.jpg

😄stunning girl!!! thank you so much, i have my fingers crossed. my girl is so calm and friendly, she lets me hold her like a glass of red wine lol
Thank you! She is 4 yrs now, and she already raised some little babies. I am a proud "Grandma" lol.
That's really good that your chick lets you hold it like that, she will grow up to be a great show bird I bet! In poultry shows they require you to hold your chick just like that!
1711027450353.png

View attachment 3777120View attachment 3777124View attachment 3777121View attachment 3777122hi there everyone! this is my first post, i am new to raising chickens. i have some photos here of a young black australorp chick who just turned 5-week old today and i would appreciate any help with identifying its sex! i got my flock as day-old chicks from a hatchery and she's supposedly a female, but i am a little concerned due to her comb is looking kinda pink and her wattles are starting to show.

because i live in the city in close quarters with neighbors on both sides of my yard, i cannot keep a rooster. she is so, so sweet, serene and cuddly, she plops down whenever she hops onto my arm. she is easily my favorite baby of the flock of 10 and i would be heartbroken if she turned out to be a he!

thank you all for your help ☺️
She may be a pullet. All of our roos had that much(and more) comb/wattles at three weeks. You can try searching my name and Black Australorps for my photos/post for reference. It is easier if you have multiple to see the differences.

Good luck!

thanks! I have added 2 more pics with flash to better show the comb and wattle development. i am worried about the wattle being red.

she's incredibly calm, inquisitive but never excitable or aggressive. she's just sitting on me while I work, and she's been on my lap for 2 hours! super sweet and loves to sit. she can plop down anywhere, I've seen her sit down on a sloped piece of mesh fabric while the other chicks pecking at her feet from below lol
She may be a pullet. All of our roos had that much(and more) comb/wattles at three weeks. You can try searching my name and Black Australorps for my photos/post for reference. It is easier if you have multiple to see the differences.

Good luck!

1000039836.jpg

Attachments

• 1000039827.jpg
    1000039827.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 2
thanks! I have added 2 more pics with flash to better show the comb and wattle development. i am worried about the wattle being red.

she's incredibly calm, inquisitive but never excitable or aggressive. she's just sitting on me while I work, and she's been on my lap for 2 hours! super sweet and loves to sit. she can plop down anywhere, I've seen her sit down on a sloped piece of mesh fabric while the other chicks pecking at her feet from below lol

View attachment 3778396
My hubby goes "eh, might be a roo, just a little slower" so... Here's to hoping a pullet! Lol

View attachment 3778396
Looking at those pictures, I would be worried also, but not yet certain either way.

If the chick is a male, it will probably be much more obvious within a few weeks.

Or if you are very impatient for a definite answer, you could try DNA sexing.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
You mail in a few feathers or a drops of blood, they check the DNA and post the answer on their website, you log in and see the results. Total time seems to be about a week, although of course it could be longer if they are extra-busy, the mail is extra-slow, there are a bunch of holidays, or something like that.

I would probably just wait, rather than paying for the DNA sexing, but sometimes it can be worth it to have a more definite answer at a slightly sooner time.

Back
Top Bottom