Black shoulder genetic !

the blackshoulder pattern mutation show up first in the india blue, as did cameo ,white colors. my understanding all except the jade did which show up in the spalding.

Which is easy to tell most showed up in india blue, because of the good records of alot of the breeders at the time.

Japanned Peafowl have barring on the tertials but most of their secondaries are iridescent blue-black like normal black-shoulder:

Note the wing pattern is barred like Sri Lankan Peafowl. The facial skin also looks a bit pointy like Sri Lanka Peafowl and hints to hybridisation too (the bird has "bags" under his eye, like annamensis).

Although this bird is from a zoo nearly all zoos in Japan have Peafowl that look like this.

http://blog-imgs-41.fc2.com/s/a/n/sanyoshi/200907031522587a0.jpg

Last edited:
What if this is a spalding peacock, bred back to IB peafowls ???

How about Japanned peahens ???

Sri Lankan peafowls lives in Sri Lanka which is far west from Japan and Japanese hunters will find wild Sri Lankan peafowls to be too wary and fly away if they see people.
No green peafowls are native to Japan..

More photoes of Japanned peafowls would be appreciated, as this photo of Japanned peacock, looked like a spalding peacock, bred back to IB peafowls.

Last edited:
Indeed that's what they are.

The thing is people view "Japanned" and "Black-Shoulder" to be the same thing but they are different,.

this is what Resolution once mentioned:
"Black-Winged Peafowl were a mutation of the Sri Lankan form of cristatus. This mutation became fixed on an old flock ( genetically homogeneous ) of
nominate cristatus semi domesticated by Persians and carried by Macedonians and Romans to Europe. The Black-Winged mutation became fixed only after a long genetic bottleneck.

Japanned Peafowl were a hybrid race of imperator X Sri Lankan cristatus where the presence of leucism and black-winged mutations had been introduced with founders. The majority of the leucistic peafowl were males
and the black-winged were females. While the Japanese horded the selectively bred cultivars of the original founders, the free ranging feral populations in the south produced a wild hybrid race with white primaries, white throats and normal plumage. Males of this race were imported to Europe and after several generations of breeding in old flocks of nominate cristatus, produced white and pied sports as a result of genetic inbreeding."

Another theory is that the black shouldered peafowl comes from the Nepalese phenotype (not a subspecies but a regional variation) of cristatus. These birds are chubbier in profile (think captive Peafowl) than low-altitude cristatus, built for high elevations. They have some traits like hybrids with thicker facial skin but it is not known if they are hybrids or not since that would have taken place in ancient times.

I think it is likely white Peafowl have origins within hybrids.

Are all the different colors and patterns spontaneous mutations ?
One day an individual was different in a new generation... I'm wrong ?.... for all the different color and patterns !

Some of the colours were, but we are now going to get some (like peach) that are combinations of those colours. Taupe and Indigo are also combinations of two colours. The brown wing (not the wild barred wing) showed up spontaneously at Roughwood years ago. It may be that some of the other new colours are combos as well, but without the breeders informing the rest of us, we'll not know until someone else tries with similar results.

Are all the different colors and patterns spontaneous mutations ?
One day an individual was different in a new generation... I'm wrong ?.... for all the different color and patterns !

yes some were.....white, bronze,cameo, blackshoulder .all are.

Sources have told me it is a charcoal purple combination. This would be a difficult one to reproduce. A male split to both (would look like a blue male) would be easy - breed charcoal male to purple female. The female split to both (would look like a purple hen) is more difficult because charcoal hens don't lay fertile eggs. A purple cock bred to a charcoal split blue hen would produce all purple hens, but only about 50% of those would be split to charcoal. THen you have to hope you have one when you breed it to the male you have from the charcoal male crossed with the purple hen. Your odds are low, but if you know you have a purple split charcoal hen (you could test breed with a charcoal male to guarantee I suppose), then there is potential. A long breeding project if you have the time. My source had told me that the original parent birds came from an older breeder who was selling out. THis source also purchased similar birds, and managed to hatch out two taupe hens this year. Apparently rather weak birds to start off with, as they are the prodigy of siblings. He only has one hen that survived.

Clinton, you should sketch "Japanned" Peafowl..

I'm looking for pictures of females but this is as perfect of a shot of the male's wing map as I could find:

http://photozou.jp/photo/photo_only/106073/9612588?size=1024

The dark part of the secondaries actually varies due to them having Green Peafowl genes. The rest of the wing is barred the same way it is on Singhalensis. The head is rounder than that of wild Pavo cristatus.

It's hard to find pictures of a female but I don't believe them to be "leucistic" like that of Black Shoulder. This one may or may not be japanned, but definitely has some Green Peafowl genes and the dark colour is consistent with Singhalensis.

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200903/11/47/e0157647_726234.jpg

Back
Top Bottom