Black silkie hen (shadow is her name) wont stop going broody

how long to do the broody breaker cage?
2-3 days minimum. If she's really broody it could be 5-7 days or more.
And when do I know that she has stopped going broody because shadow knows when i try and do this, she plays im not broody and walks around and always spills over the food into the water to try and get out
If she's knocking over food and water trying to get out, she's still broody for sure. I would not even open the door to test her.
, if that does not work she stands there so i think she is done being broody then once i let her out she wanders around for 0-30 mins then gets back to being broody in a nesting box
If she goes back to the nest at all at any point after you let her out for testing, back in the cage she goes. Most partially broken birds can't resist heading back to the nest within an hour.

2-3 days minimum. If she's really broody it could be 5-7 days or more.

If she's knocking over food and water trying to get out, she's still broody for sure. I would not even open the door to test her.

If she goes back to the nest at all at any point after you let her out for testing, back in the cage she goes. Most partially broken birds can't resist heading back to the nest within an hour.
I would love to try the broody cage again, but im afraid she will pass away because of the heat as I live in phoenix AZ and its summer time right now, yes I have tons of ventilation and misters and shade and the cage would be in the darkest and coolest spot but im worried something would happen to her for some reason because of the heat.

Also my rooster always stays by the cage to make sure she is ok and after making sure all of his other girls are ok he runs back over to shadow in the cage and paces around the cage a couple times, is that ok?

I would love to try the broody cage again, but im afraid she will pass away because of the heat as I live in phoenix AZ and its summer time right now, yes I have tons of ventilation and misters and shade and the cage would be in the darkest and coolest spot but im worried something would happen to her for some reason because of the heat.

Also my rooster always stays by the cage to make sure she is ok and after making sure all of his other girls are ok he runs back over to shadow in the cage and paces around the cage a couple times, is that ok?
Can you bring her inside your house, or somewhere that's cooler? Maybe just part of the day.

Don't think it matters what the rooster is doing as far as if it impact broodiness but I don't have one so can't say for sure.

how long to do the broody breaker cage?
My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor,
gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1627769082551.png

I've never broken any of my broodies because I don't see the point in fighting nature. They'll only go broody again when the fancy takes them. I just let them sit for the 6-7 weeks it takes them to realise no babies are coming, and then that's it. They molt, and start to lay again.

One of our Orpingtons in her youth was a persistent broody. She would lay 10 eggs and go broody, again and again and again, all spring, summer and autumn (but then she'd lay all winter for me). She's still happy and healthy today at 6 years old but a lot less broody these days.

From the reading I have done, especially in the Meat birds forum, broodies lay down a huge amount of fat predominantly in their pelvic area before they start to sit and that sustains them, even though they may seem to be losing weight.

Being a broody breed Shadow is going to want to be broody so you really are fighting a losing battle. You might break her but it won't be long before she wants to sit again. I'd be getting her some sexed chicks to raise (which you can then sell as pullets) as that at least would break her and extend the time before she wants to go broody again. Or move her inside if you are worried about the day time temperatures where you can monitor her food and water intake, and let her sit it out. Then she'll molt and put on condition again for around 6 weeks before starting to lay again. That too would extend the time before she goes broody once more (and she will).

Back
Top Bottom