Black silkies

Mine aren't laying yet, unfortunately. I was hoping to have some chicklets for chickenstock but I've had one lady willing to lay and she only gave me three and that was before I put her in with a boy.

No she does not
wink.png

But we can always count of Amy,
roll.png

I just posted this very same question on the Silkie thread... Is it common to have some white in the foot feathering in Black Silkie males? These are younger guys just starting to crow. Will they grow out of it? When mated to pure black females...will they produce more chicks with white in the foot feathering? Just getting back into raising/breeding Silkies...mostly BBS's. Thank you!

I finally got some pics of my black silkies. Here are my pullets (excuse "Wednesday" she was feeling camera-shy)

52617_ladyg_wednesday.jpg

And here is my best black cockerel. I haven't bred him yet - the girls are just getting to the point of lay. He has good comb, good eyes, good feet, pretty good wings, but leakage in his hackles and his tail isn't real good. I posted about him earlier. I am keeping my eye out for another black cockerel, but this is what I've got right now:

52617_thursday2.jpg

52617_thursday.jpg

Another option I have is to use my blue cockerel because I know have a 50% chance of getting blacks. Then if I get a good male out of him I can get my black program going. This isn't a great picture, sorry. But he has good feet, good wings, nice crest, good black comb, and good eyes. What do you all think? Thanks.

52617_justinb.jpg

And Pyncheon guy, I don't know the answer to the question about white in the foot feathering - mine have it too. I hope someone on here will be able to tell you.

just MO, and Im no expert by any means, but I like the blue cock better. I like his type, looks more round. I like your black hens, love the name too!

I personally would go with the Blue Roo . The Black as to many down sides to me to work out of his offspring . Your hens are awsome from what I can see . ( nice colour and type ) as long as correct toes - those are the 3 i'd choose to start with . ~~ just my thoughts ``~~ Tammy

Hi I know Fawkes feathers had 2 nice black breeding roosters available they are on her website....very black...would be super crossed with those nice black girls of yours....i am waiting on our new black boy he is one of the black breeders from Premier and i have 2 of Premiers girls and a few others i have collected so hopefully will be able to get some black babies and have a good foundation to build on for next years show birds...also have some Three Cedars black eggs in the bator....

I am breeding pure black beardless silkie bantams.
The first chicks are hatching in the incubator round 1st of may.
Here (holland) they are hard to come by too. Aspecialy the beardless bantams.
But i found a few eggs. And i hope to be able to start a nice showeble line.

Back
Top Bottom