Black silkies

Love all your black Silkies! They are so nice.
big_smile.png

I never liked Silkies much till I saw GOOD ones. They are so beautiful when they are like they are supposed to be.

I wanted to share my little black baby with you (not the best pic as it's taken with my phone)
71252_cute_with_atitude.jpg

This little one has such a great personality already. It's the one that gets pulled out most for cuddles... what's the bet it's a roo?
lol.png

I do have some newbie questions as I've never had Silkies before. One is what is the toe fluff supposed to be like? You can just see on this little one a few tufts on the middle toes. On one of the others (not black) it has quite a bit more. I guess I need to find the standard but I thought I'd just ask.
smile.png
Also, what age can I have a reasonable idea of sex? I've heard Silkies don't show early on like my other breeds. I'm not in a hurry to find out but I do love to try guessing early on and see if I'm right later.

Hmmm just wondering though , if someone uses such a product to enhance the colour --- what happens when someone buys from you ? Do you tell them in order to keep that nice colour you have to feed ... ? I myself want to have the sharpest quality from breeding not enhansers I would have to feed. Just some thoughts ---- Tammy

Quote:
I would certainly investigate a bit more, but what the website listed as ingredients sounded fine, albeit it was not as thorough an ingredient list as I like. I want to see everything listed, not lumped together as in "grain products" which Purina and a few other feed manufacturers do.

Okay, Jeffers shows the label, which lists:

Ingredients
Ground Extruded Whole Soybeans, Vegetable Oil, Western South Dakota Chopped Wheat Hay, Cane Molasses, Salt, Paprika, Seaweed, Celery Seed, Pure Cane Sugar, Annatto, Zinc Sulfate, L-Lysine, Riboflavin, Biotin, and Folic Acid.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 20%
Crude Fat (min.) 7%
Crude Fiber (max.) 18%
Calcium (min.) 0.23%
Phosphorous (min.) 0.1%

I don't see anything that looks inappropriate for chickens. That said, if you feed 6-18 heaping tablespoons to a horse daily, I would think about a half teaspoon would be more than enough for a chicken. One difference, though is that birds do not continually grow feathers, whereas mammals do continually grow their hair/fur. So I am not sure that it makes sense to feed it other than during a molt and while the feathers continue to grow in.​

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

It pains me to keep mine in or shaded most of the time but I have seen the dramatic difference with my own showbirds.

Back
Top Bottom