Black silkies

I have a white rooster who is a 3rd generation from my own lines bred only white to white. All others have came out VERY white but he has another color on him on his chest is a light buff coloring its VERY light and right where his back meets his tail the under coat there looks a smokey color. today or tomorrow I am going to pick up a black pullet who is 9 months old who is from a black on black pens. I am putting these two together and I will report back within a month or so to see what I get.

Quote:
Sorry about that. I understand genetics, I can't talk them. But you did ask what would happen if you did it, the answer is anything. And I don't want someone thinking its OK to do just because I got black chicks. I'm pretty surprised that I did.

Quote:
Black is an entirely different gene than either white (dom or recessive), therefore it cannot be dominant over it. Genes are not dominant or recessive to different genes, but only to different alleles of the SAME gene. Your statement about all the hidden genes is accurate, and removing a copy of recessive white (by breeding to a non-white) allows those colours/patterns to display. No matter how many generations, the bird will still have hidden colours as there are hundreds of genes, and each bird has a complete set of each gene. White is an OFF switch, preventing colour or pattern, but it does not remove those colours or patterns from the bird; it just inhibits their appearance.

No secret, but this has been explained so many times over and over that once you've answered the question a few 100 times it gets old. Robin had just gone into answering another common question.

Thanks to all the "old pros" who hear and answer the same questions over and over.

When newbies enter the forum they don't know it's an old, often-answered question and probably can't understand why you all get tired of answering it again. Genetics is so complex and misunderstood, it's no wonder there are so many people who don't know what to mix with what. Fortunately for all of us, there are some "Genetics Experts" out there who are willing to share their knowledge. This is just to say how much we appreciate it.

Quote:
Yep, or sell the info. Surely there is a Silkie genetics book:)

There are a number of genetic books, and several silkie books as well. There is a new book on silkies by Sigrid van Dort; you can order it through the club website.

Quote:
Yep, or sell the info. Surely there is a Silkie genetics book:)

There are a number of genetic books, and several silkie books as well. There is a new book on silkies by Sigrid van Dort; you can order it through the club website.

I tried finding the book on the ASBC site but no such luck...am I looking in the wrong place?

Back
Top Bottom