Black silkies

Here's a few pics.....differences between the blacks and blues are pretty noticeable on the chick down. Once they feather out you can't tell the difference between them after a few weeks.

There's 2 blacks and 2 blues in each of these pics:

100_0020.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0022.jpg

100_0024.jpg

100_0026.jpg

100_0030.jpg

Once they hit the 2-3 month stage, sometimes they are pretty hard to tell apart just based on feathering.

100_0141.jpg

100_0151.jpg

PICT2340.jpg

On those adults that are questionable if they are black or blue, just do test breedings. Put them on a splash and if you get anything other than 100% blues, you know you have a dark blue instead of a black.

I've been veryyyyyyyyyyyy fussy -- when growing out my blk chicks if I have any color other then black or that pretty crow sheen on them They're gone and if it was from my own breeding the hens were replaced - I now have 4 really nice trios - ( I know not alot , but what I can afford and manage at this time ) I will admit I probably sold and or gave away some nice stock - but I knew what I wanted and didn't have the patience or time to breed out what I didn't .So I replaced -- Wish I had current pics -- I've been really busy and haven't taken any lately -- I'll try after Christmas . Hello Amy how is that beautiful little girl of yours ? Amy knows alot more then me when it comes to silkies , I'm just a yougun compared . I hope all is well in everyones part of the world and just incase I don't make it back here before I want to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS
smile.png
~~~ Tammy

Last edited:
ayeee.... Christmas is coming up too fast. I'm scared to put up any decorations this year. My little girl is now 8.5 months old. You might as well put a lil set of horns on her right now. She is absolutely into everything! She's walking on her own and starting to talk. She even knows how to pull a pillow over to the couch and crawl on there to get up on there. I turned my back on her for a split second the other day and I turned around to find her sitting on top of a big rubbermaid tub. The lil fart must also be part beaver. She's destroyed 1 of her playpens and is ruining all the end tables.

Not much going on here in the bird front. Helping my brother haul a 10x24' shed home. The shed itself was cheap, but moving it out of a very tight spot is proving to be a challenge. I'm also building another finch aviary in my basement. My old one is 4' tall, 8' long, and 2' wide. I'm going much bigger on this new one.... 8' tall, 8' long, and 4' wide. Got it about half done today on the woodwork. Its already winter up here in MN. Snow is on the ground and single digit temps so far. Not enough daylight and cold has thrown the chickens into hibernation. Maybe only 1-2 eggs a day..... Once the holidays are over, I'll worry about getting lights on the birds and some babies out of the shell.

Lol this is the redneck way of hoisting a shed on a trailer. Still have to get it 10 miles home and somehow off the trailer.... It needs a lil work, but will be a fun project.

2011-12-04_15-01-28_651.jpg

2011-12-04_15-01-37_265.jpg

This is the first stage of my new aviary. Lots to finish on here too.

100_2199.jpg

100_2200.jpg

This is my older and much smaller one:

PICT1659-1.jpg

IMG00148.jpg

100_1299.jpg

Back
Top Bottom