Black silver (Birchen) Marans Genetics

101atworld

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Marysville Washington
Hello everyone! I have a small flock of Birchen Marans. All of my flock is black Birchen apart from one blue Birchen rooster. I have hatched out a few chicks and all of them have been black. Is it possible to get blue from this flock or would I need blue Birchen hens as well? Also, I have one hen that is pure black, could she produce chicks that are Birchen? She’s the sister of hens that display Birchen, so maybe she carries the Birchen allele? Here are a few pictures of my flock. I do have a black Birchen rooster as well, so that might contribute to only black Birchen chicks. He’s pictured below. Thanks in advance!
71AB0D20-B3A1-4634-A66B-583502628BC7.jpeg
A5C02E38-0AFA-42AE-A271-470DC21C13E2.jpeg
9B1C3E93-E712-4997-B17D-A8385F16244D.jpeg
C88E98E4-52E9-44FB-A632-375EFF78FF3F.jpeg

You can get blue birchens from blue birchen x birchen. Yes, your dark hen can produce birchens, especially if bred a rooster with a bit more silver (like your bottom rooster).
Okay, thank you! I’m trying to get down to one rooster. Would you consider the black Birchen to be more correct for the breed?

Hello everyone! I have a small flock of Birchen Marans. All of my flock is black Birchen apart from one blue Birchen rooster. I have hatched out a few chicks and all of them have been black. Is it possible to get blue from this flock or would I need blue Birchen hens as well? Also, I have one hen that is pure black, could she produce chicks that are Birchen? She’s the sister of hens that display Birchen, so maybe she carries the Birchen allele? Here are a few pictures of my flock. I do have a black Birchen rooster as well, so that might contribute to only black Birchen chicks. He’s pictured below. Thanks in advance! View attachment 2600961View attachment 2600962View attachment 2600963View attachment 2600964

forget about Blue Birchen ,your Blue Birchen boy will never produce any thing good .but you Black Birchen is stunning ,love every thing about him .you should breed him and safe your self a lot work .
more photos of your black Birchen rooster .

chooks man

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't the blue birchen produced any good offspring?
Your blue birchen needs better saddle feathering. He is too dark in that area. Blue is a tough color to get just right. Comb on black silver is better than the blue silver. I like both their hackles, black silver has better silver ear feathers. Tail angle seems alright in both, but a more relaxed side view and front view for both would tell us a lot as far as stance and angle go. Roosters often posture for a camera and won't let you see their natural pose when you want to share it. could use more silver on the blue's wing bows, black silver has better silver in the wing bows.

Back
Top Bottom