Black snake ate broody hens eggs day 20

I’d try during the day. My mauve Orpington was sitting on non fertile eggs so while she was out of the nest to eat I took all the eggs and put the ducklings in her nest when she came back in she looked at those chicks stepped into the nest covered them and boy was that a sweet sight. Only problem I see with doing it at night is you don’t stick around to see if she accepts them they may not make it. But this is just my experience others have probably done great with putting them under at night.

Since you moved her, let her settle in for the day, then wait until it's very dark. Pop the chicks under her and see how it goes.
I'd go out fairly early and check to see if she's accepted them. Broody hens can be a bit funny about things at times.

On the note of the snake, you may be repeatedly removing the same one a couple of times a week.
I get Black and King snakes in my runs and in the nesting boxes. I always look and I usually use a grabber tool to reach for eggs.
I've thought about marking the snakes somehow when I remove them from the coop/run just to see if it's the same one. One year I took one to the backside of my property and the stupid thing basically followed me back home. I was a bit creeped out.
Like @Miss Lydia mine can get quite large. I had about a 6' King snake in the run last week, he wanted OUT. Then hens and rooster were stalking him😅

BUT, if I have chicks, they get moved immediately and I watch for them more. Usually this time of year they have left for the creeks, but it's been cool here, so they are still hanging out near the outbuilding and pumphouse where they overwinter.
It's a bit creepy here at times.

I used to have one that lived in an outbuilding for years and years, he was huge, he was more than 6', because he'd lay on top of the building doors and they were about 10'. I always looked up when I went in that building, you sure didn't want him to fall on you from the rafters. Anyway, I don't know what happened to him, he didn't appear one spring so he must've croaked over winter. He was at least 15 years old I'd say.

My son was opening the door to his house last week after dark and had a snake fall onto his head and shoulders. That would take me a while to get over. Lol if I can see them that’s different than having one fall onto you. I’m on snake patrol since I have week old runner ducklings.

My son was opening the door to his house last week after dark and had a snake fall onto his head and shoulders. That would take me a while to get over. Lol if I can see them that’s different than having one fall onto you.
😅 I wouldn't like that one bit.
That large snake in the building never did fall on me, but did my Hubs a couple of times. I always scouted overhead before I went inside.
I don't like touching them.
I usually use my grabber tool, pop them in a bucket with lid, then take them out in my woods. I'm sure they come right back though.
Not a fan of doing them in, so I just sort of move them as needed.

Same here sometimes you aren’t prepared with anything other than your hands and boy are they strong and stinky. The one the other day was trying to go behind the vinyl I have up part way on the walls and I was trying to pull him out and he did not want to come finally I won. But man did my hands stink afterward. I usually walk them down the road or toss them over the fence down the bank. I don’t mind them as long as they eat rats and mice but they don’t always do what we want. LOL

Same here sometimes you aren’t prepared with anything other than your hands and boy are they strong and stinky. The one the other day was trying to go behind the vinyl I have up part way on the walls and I was trying to pull him out and he did not want to come finally I won. But man did my hands stink afterward. I usually walk them down the road or toss them over the fence down the bank. I don’t mind them as long as they eat rats and mice but they don’t always do what we want. LOL
Guys, I have a backup broody and tried sneaking chicks under her. What does it mean if she lightly pecks them on the head? She’s not being aggressive that I can tell but she looks mad at them

Hopefully, she'll accept them. Just keep an eye on things. If she is lightly pecking them at least she isn't being aggressive. How long has this hen been broody? Did you cover the chicks with your hand and slip them under her?
She’s been broody for 18 days, and yes. She attacked the small one but accepted the other possibly, I’m just nervous because she’s giving me mixed signals

I consider that light peck to be a mamma disciplining her chicks. If she's trying to hurt them you should know it.

Those snakes are probably the same ones coming back. It's generally illegal to turn a snake loose anywhere except on your own property, which may not do much good. I had a friend that wanted me to turn non-venomous snakes loose on her place, she thought rat snakes or black racers would help keep venomous snakes away from her and her dogs. It was about 3 miles away so I wasn't worried about them finding their way back to me. She recently sent me a photo pf a 7' rat snake she thinks I gave her when it was smaller. The only ones she gets are the ones in the coop, I keep my snake stick, leather gloves, and pillow case handy in case I see one. If they are not in my coop she does not get them, I like having them around.

Back
Top Bottom