Black snake ate broody hens eggs day 20

Oh no!

Can you source some day old chicks to sneak under her?

Of course, you'll have to make sure the snake can reach the chicks.
I would get some from TSC, but I’m afraid snakes would eat the babies. I get about 1-2 black snakes in the coop per week but I re-locate them a decent ways away, so I’m not sure if they’re coming back or not. Is there anything I can put to get rid of them like any smells they don’t like ? For example wood ash, etc?

I would get some from TSC, but I’m afraid snakes would eat the babies. I get about 1-2 black snakes in the coop per week but I re-locate them a decent ways away, so I’m not sure if they’re coming back or not. Is there anything I can put to get rid of them like any smells they don’t like ? For example wood ash, etc?
@Miss Lydia had a broody duck on eggs and also had black snakes
She just left eggs on the floor in coop to keep the snake happy and leave the baby eggs alone
It worked and it did eat the ones off the floor
Myself I don’t get snakes where I am ( thank goodness or I may never go in my coop 😆)

I am sorry your hen lost her eggs so sad when so close to hatching.

I have to keep my coops closed up during the day now. In the past I have had them eat developing eggs and it is heartbreaking for the hen and for me, so this year I tried a different approach i leave a duck egg on the floor but what heppened here was then it was hiding out in the coop instead of leaving [I mean I was offering fast food why go away] I caught it and here they get to 6' long and carried it off. I don't think it matters they know where free food is. So I set up in a small coop and some dog houses we have for the birds to get out of the weather with shavings so they can lay their eggs out of the 2 main coops since they are closed once everyone comes out in the morning. I have one coop with a mama and 2 ducklings no way I want a snake in there the other coop has a broody goose[no eggs] and 2 broody bantams [no eggs]
Oh and yesterday my broody Orpington was in the small coop and I heard all this commotion and thought oh great one of the big hens is picking on her well she was attacking a big black snake I mean attacking it even pecking at its head. that snake
did not even try to defend itself it was getting the heck out of there lol.
A few years ago I had a 6' one hiding in the coop and it came out at night and tried to eat a 4 weekd old bantam cochin and of course all it did was suffocate it. :(

I am sorry your hen lost her eggs so sad when so close to hatching.

I have to keep my coops closed up during the day now. In the past I have had them eat developing eggs and it is heartbreaking for the hen and for me, so this year I tried a different approach i leave a duck egg on the floor but what heppened here was then it was hiding out in the coop instead of leaving [I mean I was offering fast food why go away] I caught it and here they get to 6' long and carried it off. I don't think it matters they know where free food is. So I set up in a small coop and some dog houses we have for the birds to get out of the weather with shavings so they can lay their eggs out of the 2 main coops since they are closed once everyone comes out in the morning. I have one coop with a mama and 2 ducklings no way I want a snake in there the other coop has a broody goose[no eggs] and 2 broody bantams [no eggs]
Oh and yesterday my broody Orpington was in the small coop and I heard all this commotion and thought oh great one of the big hens is picking on her well she was attacking a big black snake I mean attacking it even pecking at its head. that snake
did not even try to defend itself it was getting the heck out of there lol.
A few years ago I had a 6' one hiding in the coop and it came out at night and tried to eat a 4 weekd old bantam cochin and of course all it did was suffocate it. :(
I picked up some babies for her at tsc and I will move her to a separate coop. Does it matter if I put them under her durning day or night?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom