@#&$* black snake!!! RIP Fluffy, Cinderella, and Anise

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Lisser, Aug 25, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Our brooder room is an unfinished room attached to our house - intended to become a bathroom one day. We live in a really old farm house. I have brooded a batch of chicks and a small number of guineas in that room with no problem. Well a black snake must have found a way to get in because I woke up this morning to find 3 chicks out of the brooder (a livestock trough), one dead in the brooder and a black snake with some big lumps in his belly. [​IMG]

We are really going to miss the babies, especially Fluffy!

Melissa

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    sorry to hear about your lost. [​IMG] Hope you got rid of the snake!

3. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    [​IMG] Oh man, that sux....I know how you feel we have a snake that comes in the coop at night. Already lost about 9 birds to it.....seems like no mattter what we do it gets in [​IMG] The only way I know how to get rid of it is to kill it BUT we need to see if to be able to do that.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Wow..sorry for your loss. Hope you can find out how it got in and button it up.

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, y'all. My kind neighbor brought us a new "Cinderella".

I removed the snake, and stuffed all the cracks I could find with folded newspaper, then put a well-ventilated Fort-Knox cover on the brooder (which is a gray livestock trough). I should have covered the brooder before, I just didn't think anything (besides bugs) could get in that room.

Oh well, live and learn! Thanks again for your comments.

Melissa

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    OMG how devastating. So sorry for the loss of those babies.

7. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    i went out to check my hen who is sitting the other day opened the door and a 2 1/2 ft black snake was sitting there between the door and a piece of wood that keeps the shavings in well sorry I disposed of it with a hoe I have no tolerance for any snakes around my coop! I am alittle more careful sticking my head in now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by