Black snakes

Elwar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Hudson, FL
We have black snakes all over the place here. I went out this weekend to the run and found a dead black snake stuck in the hardware cloth. It appears that it went from inside the run to the outside weaving its way upward only to get stuck about half way down his body, where he died.

Fortunately the chicks are still in the brooder in the garage. I've found a live black snake stuck in my cast net I had lying around that got caught in much the same way.

So...at what age would my chickens be able to take on a snake small enough to get caught in hardware cloth?

This one would have been able to reach about a foot and a half inside the run.

My chicks are 4 weeks now...I was figuring I'd put them out at 8 weeks.

sounds like a black racer. Are they thin, long and quick as hell...lol
Not sure if they are there for the chicks or the feed. I know there are some snake lovers on here who will probally be able to answer your question better cause age
hu.gif

Quote:
Yep, everyone tells us that they're good to have in the neighborhood because they get rid of all of the other snakes and the rats.

It wasn't there for the chicks or the feed since there's no food out there yet and I've only let the chicks play in the big run a few times.

Fortunately the snakes are scared off easily so when my DW sees one they both go running in the opposite direction.

If you are in a desert climate snakes will be attracted to your waterer as well as any mice, rats, chicks, and eggs they might find.

I always like to mention that if you make chicken feed available to rats and mice, you will be getting more of the rodents, and in turn more snakes. Pick up the feeders at night and keep the bags of feed in a secure cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom