Black Soldier Fly larvae as chicken feed

I throw my coffee grinds right on the front lawn. My neighbors must think I’m nuts. :caf

I’ve decided that it’s ok to buy carbon. Outside of leaf season I can’t keep up otherwise with lawn waste and shredded cardboard/paper. My local hay guy sells me last years left-over bales for $5 each. Depending on your setup, that could last a while (I use 2-4 bales a week).

I haven't heard about coffee grounds on poop boards (I'm brand new to chickens though)...is this for scoopability/clumping or to help with smell?
Scoopability. I used to use sweet PDZ but we produce enough coffee grounds that I dry them and use them as scoopable litter. It works pretty well.

Their fat to protein content isn't actually that bad. They're a little fatty, but not like mealworms, which are way too fat. They also have quite a high calcium content as far as feeder insect go. I use them as a staple for my bearded dragon and golden bell frogs, who love them at any life stage.

My chickens get the excess, as I have them set for auto-delivery, Getting 1k white larvae per month. Whatever the frogs/beardie don't get through goes to the chickens.

As long as you are keeping to the 10% treats rule, they will not be getting these in high enough volumes to adversely affect their health.

Back
Top Bottom