Black Spanish Poult coloring

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GardienneWings, Jun 15, 2009.

1. I just got some Black Spanish poults and I noticed that some have solid white heads and others have black spots in the white. Is there a preference as to what will be a more correctly colored bird or does it make no difference? Also, I have gotten pretty good at guessing gender on my Royal and B. Red poults from the feather coloration, is there any trick to telling gender with the Black Spanish while they are still young?

Val

2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    do you have any pics of your poults ??

Sounds from your description that you don't have 100% pure BS poults ??

No there is no way to sex them from their feathers.

3. Well, I know with my black sumatras, the chicks are yellow & black. Sometimes, they will grow in white wing feathers (tips) which change to black before they are fully feathered.

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Should look something like this. This is a pic of a Mottled Black Spanish poult but real similar when they are a day old.

[​IMG]

5. The kids took the battery out of my camera to recharge it and can't remember where they put it :-(

Mine look similar to what you posted except the white extends further back on top of the head (to about the same place the white on the sides of your guy's head stops) On some the white is solid and some have a few black polka-dots on the white.

Val

6. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Purebred Black Spanish poults:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    This is the first year we have had Spanish blacks, But I did read someplace that the snood size in the first weeks or so can be a clue as to there sex.

Smaller bumps may be female.

Again I read that some place, but have no idea if it really is true or not. But it's not an excepted method for sexing.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: