1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Split to Lav Roo Still Produce BBS?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PepsNick, Apr 10, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    If a black rooster is split to lavender, can he still produce BBS chicks by mated with a splash or blue dam? I don't see why not. So, if a Black split to Lav rooster is penned with Lav dams and Blue and Splash dams, he would produce BBS with the blue and splash and Lav with the lavs, right? Also, would the BBS chicks be split to Lavender?

Thanks. Hope this makes sense to most people, might require some reading through.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am no expert but I believe your BBS chicks would be 50% split for lav (not all chicks would be split as some would get the dominant black gene) - and yes black/lav split roo would produce 50% lav chicks and 50% black chicks with the lav hens - I believe.

But I do not know how clean your blues and splashes would be with the possible lav genetics in there [​IMG]

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Unless your hens carry the lavender gene, just treat your male like black. Half of his offspring will carry lavender, which you will want to tell prospective buyers, but you will not be able to sort them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by