Black Spots on Comb - I'm a WORRYWART! Should I be?

BrazosChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 8, 2014
Brazoria, TX
My husband and I are new at raising chickens, and we love it. I just stress myself out worrying about every single thing I see, and am wondering if I think there really is something wrong, or if the things I notice are common. The photos are of one of our Cuckoo Marans, with this black "blob" on her comb. It has been there for weeks, and I've kind of chalked it up to a scab. She is one of the last to join our flock and is at the low end of pecking order. (She and her sister are the sweetest!) Some of the others have little black dots, but nothing like this. Most of the girls combs look dry, not powdery, just dry. A.) Do you pros think I'm looking at a scab? If so, what should I do to assist the healing of such. If not, what is your best guess? B.) Do we do something for the dry looking combs on the flock? (We live in Texas, and it will not ever get below freezing for very long. Last night was the coldest we've had in a while--mid 50's.) Thanks in advance!

It could be a pox. If it is, there's no cure, it's a virus that will run it's course. You can use triple antibiotic ointment on her scabs. Otherwise it might be an injury, and the treatment would be the same.

It looks like fowlpox. Which is a virus and no cure. The whole flock will usually get it and just like a virus it will run its course and the flock will then be immune to fowlpox. My chickens had it last week and a vet confirmed it. It is carried by mosquito and the hens get bitten on their combs and around eyes etc. Other symtoms are lethargy, lack of appetite or weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom