Black spots on comb??? *pics added*

After I read this thread I went and checked my hens and one of them does have small little black spots on her comb, but only one and I hadnt noticed it before. I checked her and didnt see any mites or lice or anything.. If it is Pox will the iodine get rid of it??

Fluffychicken, The iodine will get rid of the blisters, but it will have no effect on the virus itself, it will have to run its course

JacobsRewardFarm, the vaccine will come with a stabbing prong, instructions will come with the vial. a little hint, when you are ready to vaccinate have all your birds caught up in cages as this is a live virus and is only good for an hour after opening
Also I would advise getting an extra vial, sometimes a birds immune system will overpower the vaccine. check this by looking in the wing web after a week for a bump, if no bump vaccinate again, Do not give antibiotics or meds for two weeks after vaccinating, Oh and dont stick your finger OUCH

Southern28, there are different strains of pox some will cross over, guail pox is one of them, they can contract guail pox after having had fowl pox or after vaccinating for it. Not only mosquitoes are carriers. 11 other species of flying insects are known to carry it also. it can also travel by air, but it has to enter an open wound
Not trying to be a know it all, I'ts just that I have had to deal with the pox for many years,down here in the swamp, We got skeeters bigger than the chickens

Last edited:
My 3 roo's have had spots like this for several weeks. I noticed they've been pecking each other trough the fence.

None of my 10 hens have any spots at all.

I noticed these black spots on a couple of my girls, too. They're just flat spots, not raised, no lesions, etc. Now that I read Speckledhen's post about the pecking oreder, the girls that have the spots are always in a tussle about something.
roll.png

I sure hope we don't have the pox.

Jess

Oh thank you CYN!!!!!!!! I was really starting to worry... DH (for once
gig.gif
) was right about the roosters that were fighting and leaving the spots... I saw spots on my RIR roo last week... nothing major, didnt know what they were... kept asking DH... Then saw this post... Oh goodness almost gave me a heartattack... Thanks for sharing with us...

if you think they have pox is it still safe to eat the eggs? kind of a dumb question i guess but is it possible for people to get it?

does it go away?

i see a few very tiny ones on one of my hens(i only have 3 hens) and of course since ive been reading this stuff im convincing myself they have it althought i may be wrong

Back
Top Bottom