Black spots on comb...... Pox or Frostbite?

Tracie9787

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Hi! I'm a newbie to the forum and chickens. I have 6 sexlinks. 3 black and 3 red. Went out yesterday and all 6 have black spots on their combs. Some on the tips and some on the middle portions. Their feet look fabulous..... don't seem to be pecking each other. The black spots are raised and don't seem to bother them. They are all eating and drinking fine. All laying still. It is very cold here 30's day and 20's night. They are in a non heated coop but no drafts. They have heat light in the coop but tend to want to spend the whole day outside even on bitter cold days.

How can I tell if they have pox or could have gotten frostbite? There have been a few days that dropped down to 10 but yesterday was not one of them.

Any ideas on what I can do naturally to help them through this? I'm working on posting a picture but don't know how yet. I downloaded it but when I try to submit it, it doesn't go through.

Thank you!!

Seeing if the picture will come through.......
114601_049.jpg

Quote:
Hi Tracie,
Welcome to BYC.
It is hard to tell without a pic, but spots suggest pox, or pecking. Frostbite has a tendency to look black at the points or ends and fade to red.
I believe with pox there is not much you can do except let it run it's course, and wipe the scabs with iodine. If I'm wrong someone will chime in. I don't believe it is fatal.

Imp

Edited cause you posted picture. Does not look like frostbite to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions. I'll just watch them super close and see how it goes. If it gets too bad, I have a fabulous vet and can take one in for a quick look. So far it doesn't seem to be affecting them. They are all active.......eating and drinking good. I added a some vitamins and garlic cloves to their water.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will just pass quickly.

T

I have a chicken right now with both wet and dry pox. If it's just the external stuff, it will generally just go away by itself. I agree, looks like pox or could be pecking. The kind you don't want is the wet pox, which gives them lesions in the mouth and airway. Now that's nasty.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom