Black spots on comb... What is it?

brandislee

Songster
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Southern Minnesota
I have been searching both here and on Google and I have found too many answers...

Here is my rooster's comb:
80003_img_0658.jpg

He seems perfectly healthy otherwise- he's my alpha rooster and has been doing all his normal rooster-y duties, running for treats, etc. He's not itching or tossing his head. My other two roosters have a tiny bit of this on their combs as well, but not nearly as bad. I don't see anything on my hens' combs.

At first I thought it was just dirt, because it seems to not always been in the same exact spots.

Then I thought they were scabs from altercations with each other. But I never see my roosters fight. Ever. No, I'm not out there all the time, but I am out there a lot. They seem to have a pretty set pecking order.

Then I thought it might be mites, so I treated with bag balm to smother them out. Other than their combs getting super dirty (because the dirt clung to their combs) it didn't seem to help at all. And on this particular rooster it got worse. It was then I started to notice white spots/halos around the black spots.

Then I stumbled across a post on favus- could it be that?

I don't think it's avian pox, because the scabs don't seem wart-like and aren't very raised, or no more than a scab should be.

I tried to check him for lice/mites in his feathers when I caught him for this picture, but he is dang hard to hold onto, and I don't have anyone home to help me.

Anyone have any input? I want to get this treated before it gets out of hand, but I don't know what to treat for! Or should I just use a topical wormer/parasite treatment AND treat with lotrimin (for favus).

One of mine has black scabs on her comb and has had them since I got her at 8 months. Still has them too but doesn't seem to hurt anything....yet.

I just noticed the same thing on my rooster today. Identical. He had mites before. I am going to get him and do the vaseline treatment. I hope it works. I have the white halo too. Last time I cleaned out the coop entirely. Took out all old hay in boxes, washed everything down with a hose, changed dirt and put down fresh straw for flooring. That was 4 months ago. Then tonight I see the black spots. I don't know what they are, but I'm following the same procedure...again. Keep me posted...

I just put him back. I've had "hands on" since they were little so it's no problem to pick him up and bring him inside. I washed all areas with witch hazel first, then vaseline. He has one large scab above his eye. Some sloughed off with vaseline. It isn't possible to "pick" them off, it obviously hurts him.
So tomorrow we'll see.
By the way it's shocking to see so many illness without cures for chickens.

PS. My chickens have NO OTHER CONTACT with other chickens. I have 10 acres & they are free range during the day. I also feed them plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables along with grain. So I have no idea where this could come from.

Back
Top Bottom