Black spots on Comb

EightChooks

Hatching
Nov 19, 2020
We have 4 Dominique and 4 Australorp hens, 6 months old. We noticed black spots on their combs recently. Is this something to be worried about? What do we need to do to get rid of the spots (if they are bad for the hens)?

IMG_2357.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 1
They are just peck marks. You don't need to do anything. Hormones are increasing at 6 months and so are attitudes. Even when the flock settles into it's groove, someone inevitably irritates someone else and they get a peck for their trouble.

They are just peck marks. You don't need to do anything. Hormones are increasing at 6 months and so are attitudes. Even when the flock settles into it's groove, someone inevitably irritates someone else and they get a peck for their trouble.
Thank you this was helpful as my flock is all between 6-8 months and I have been seeing these and getting concerned. I wasn't sure if frostbite would be so random but this post cleared that doubt

You can always use Qtips dipped in warm water to clean up the blood on the combs. Or gauze dipped in water, but Qtips seem to be more accepted by my hens anyways.

Back
Top Bottom