Black Spots on My Chickens Comb

Hello, my hen just started getting these black wart-looking spots on her comb and I do not know what they are. Did you ever determine what was causing your hen's spots? Thank you

About 3 months ago, my now 9 month old White Leghorn rooster had a lot of these same little black spots on his comb, but not his wattles. None of my 3 White Leghorn pullets had it. The rooster would freeze like a statue when near my younger pullets & they would peck the spots off. Strange, but true. My 2 Dominiques (with Rose combs) also had it. My Buff Orphanton & my Barred Rock were not affected whatsoever. All the spots just went away after a few weeks. My Rooster had the spots again a few weeks ago & my young pullets promptly relieved him of them. One of my Dominiques also developed it again. She has now lost a lot of the spots, but some still can be seen in this photo. Whatever this is, it is not the result of chickens fighting or any type of injuries & it is not nearly as bad as what is posted on Kathy's site. My rooster is clearly in control & would never allow those pullets to do that to him. The spots are never anywhere other than on my chickens' comb & when at the peak, they are thick & resemble a bunch of fleas. However, they are not fleas. I believe it is a mild form of dry pox, which seemingly has no real effect on the chickens. Also, for some reason, it only affects certain chickens. I have 8 & only 3 have had this.

It is very difficult to take a photo of the spots, but if you look closely, you can see a lot of tiny black spots on top of her comb, some a little larger than others. It would take a lot of pecks, from tiny beaks to cause them.

Hello,  my hen just started getting these black wart-looking spots on her comb and I do not know what they are.  Did you ever determine what was causing your hen's spots?  Thank you

No we never had the chance to find out what was causing it. It never got any worse but due to our living circumstances at that time we had to rehome our little guy. I hope your able to determine whats causing the spots on your flock.

Back
Top Bottom