Black spots on my chickens combs

Hello, help, my chicken has black spots on her comb and waddles, n more tail feathers. It's been 100 degrees on the CA central coast. I caged her separately to watch and till I find out if it's contagious. Other 14 chickens are fine. Will get iodine to clean sores. She seems to be acting normal. Shes the mother hen, probably not peck marks. will watch consumption and droppings. Any ideas? Is separating her necessary? Thanks,CC of Cali

She's probably molting, if more spots show up like that it could be pox, separation won't help, just time, otherwise it looks like a wound, which will also heal.

I had 3 or 4 of my 8 hens with little black spots on their combs, and wattles. It started on my white leghorn so I thought she was just being pecked. She does get pecked by some of the other girls. Then I found this thread which was very helpful. I decided after reading the thread, and inspecting her more closely that it was probably the pox. I put some oregano oil in their water, and also some on the black spots directly. This was "natural factors" brand oregano oil which is diluted with olive oil when you get it. You have to be careful because some oregano oil HAS NOT been diluted(I also have "now" brand essential oil which is NOT diluted, and could burn if used right out of the bottle). I also used "GSE" grapefruit seed extract. That can be used directly out of the bottle. After a day or two of using the oils, the spots disappeared. Both of these oils are anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. If you have never heard of them please google them, and learn about them. They are WONDERFUL!

I think that's just from pecking from other hens or a rooster mating, those are more like wounds, if they enlarge and spread they are pox, but I don't think they are.

I spent time with the birds today and caught one hen sneezing and they all seem to have to spotting on thier combs. Please advise on treatment of pox.

Also, I hear of vacinations but that's too late right ?

I cannot see it too clearly, it's looking more pox like, usually when they get pox it is also on the face and sometimes the eyes swell and crust shut, I had it on my turkeys this year, I have never had it on my chickens though, it's just large crusty circles about the size of a pencil eraser that's called dry pox, if it's in the mouth and throat it's wet pox, that one is worse because they have trouble eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom