black spots on tips of roosters comb

Anne Surely

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
I have a jersey giant rooster, he has the starting of some small black spots on tips of his comb. I had over heard someone telling another that they had used Bag Balm on their roosters comb to help prevent frostbite. I have not tried this.. looking fore answers and is there anything that I can do for him other then a heat lamp. Thank You

I have a jersey giant rooster, he has the starting of some small black spots on tips of his comb. I had over heard someone telling another that they had used Bag Balm on their roosters comb to help prevent frostbite. I have not tried this.. looking fore answers and is there anything that I can do for him other then a heat lamp. Thank You
I was told by someone on here that Bag Balm will only exacerbate the problem. The best thing to do for frostbite is fix the ventilation in your coop and just let the comb be and do nothing.

Can you please post pictures of your roosters comb as well as pictures of your coop, inside and outside? Definitely remove the heat lamp.
It seems you may have a lack of ventilation. The number goal for the coop in cold winter chicken keeping is to have it DRY. That is accomplished by keeping out as much water as possible and removing all that the moisture chickens generate during the night through respiration and defecation. So lots of fresh air coming in and stale air going out and cleaning the poop load out daily to keep it dry.

Sounds like he feeling cold when a rooster feel cold and have single comb their tips started to get black or totally dark even the end portion turn all dark (If the comb is big enough)

It's due the blood circulation winter makes their blood circulation slow so when it happens their comb tips get dark ..
But once they get warm it back normal ..so it's completely fine

Back
Top Bottom