1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Star Chicks-roos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvilledh, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    If a Black Star hen is not bred with a Black Star rooster, can you still tell the roos by the white spot on the head? I didn't know if this only pertained to the ones that were full Black Star or if it was the same if a Black Star was bred with a RIR or other rooster, maybe EE. My neighbor has some Black Star chicks and none have white spots on their heads. She would be thrilled to have at least five hens. The others are eggs from another hen and one or two look like the dad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    If I am reading this right...
    You cannot breed black stars and get sexed chicks...
    a black star (also known as a Black Sex Link - BSL) hen and a BSL rooster will not give you chicks that you can tell the sex of, neither will a BSL hen and ??? rooster, or a BSL rooster and ???? hen.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I would expect that the sex link coloration would only apply to the first generation (F1 cross). After that the gene pool would be diluted too much to use color at hatching as a reliable way to sex the chicks. It could be that they would and it could be that they wouldn't.

4. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Oh well, wishful thinking is always fun!

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:Yes, but now you get to play... what is this chick? More of a mystery

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Know what else? The Black Star doesn't come from two Black Stars being bred together--it comes from a Rhode Island Red Rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock hen. -- Hey, I see the picture you posted. What adorable chicks. You may have created a new and better hybrid--- (the F2 generation) Maybe all the white/light ones are the boys and all the dark ones are the girls---except the one with a white dot on the top of the head.

It never hurts to indulge in a little wishful thinking.

7. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    There is so much to learn and it is all so fascinating. It is definitely a mystery. I do wonder if the ones already showing their independent streak may be the roos. Guess we will see.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by