Black Star not coping well with isolation

Sometimes it is a bird that does not fit with the flock for whatever reason. If she goes back and things settle down, good. If not, let her go.

Once I had a full flock, and got a horrible predator that took out 3-4 head. Kind of terrible, but I noticed almost immediately that the remaining flock calmed down, even with the uproar of a predator attack, they were more peaceful. At that time, I just had too many birds for my set up. And this is a little off point of you post, but my point IS (good grief, this is getting worse not better) that once you experience the change to a peaceful flock, you realize how stressful it was. I think then you are more attuned to the tension in your flock.

A peaceful flock is a healthy flock, and you can't make a flock be peaceful without changing what is causing the stress.

Mrs K

Update!!

Gertie is back with the flock. I tried to just butt out and let some of the pecking happen. I watched closely for more blood shed but to my surprise no one has been bloodied. Don't get me wrong Gertie is still a piece of work toward Precious the white Sultan. She just seems to only go after her when she is the last to move away. Fingers crossed this truce will remain.

Hope it works out. Be sure she's not keeping the Sultan from eating. If she starts up again try a repeat separation. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom