Black Stars look different.

GreenSpirit Hydro

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
I got some Black Star chicks from McMurray. They are about 6 weeks old now and some are solid black while others are getting brown/gold markings on them. Did they send me something else or could these be males?

my black stars from McMurray are all nearly completely black except one who is almost all gold. we call her "little red"

i believe black stars are hybrids bred by McMurray, so individuals tend to look different.

sounds like you got all pullets
smile.png
and they are for sure black stars.

compare to mine (all but bottom left corner)

P1220016.jpg

Last edited:
Yep - they are black stars and all pullets. Mine had varying degrees of black and brown also. Most were almost all black, a couple had reddish brown necks, and one was black with red feathering all over her body. Walking Wolf is correct - black sexlink males look like barred rocks.

How old were your McMurray Black Stars when they started laying? Mine are very skiddish compared to the other species, did you notice this as well?

are you kidding? mine love me to DEATH! it took them about 2-1/2 months though. try giving them more treats and get them to eat out of your hand. they will eventually associate you with yummy foods, and run to you when they see you.

i give mine cooked corn, old lettuce, canned sweet peas, bread crumbs, bagels, cooked rice, leftover fried salmon, old tomatoes, sugar snap peas (i buy them JUST for the girls), rolled oats (i suggest very few and very rarely), canned veg-all, meal worms, crickets, small slugs & snails, flies i find in the house, moths i find in the shed... i could go on and on.

my girls are spoiled
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure how old mine were when they started laying, probably about 6 months. They started off laying puny eggs then got bigger. All my Black Stars are super sweet!!!! As chicks though, they were never really friendly. When they were in the brooder they were always like "I want to get out!" and when they got out, they were just like "leave me alone, I want to forage!". Once they started laying though, they all got very friendly.
smile.png
Non the less, food/treats always do the trick too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom