Black Sumatras Owners!!

Straight run chicks, going for about $100. around here. ( I cant take a chance on straight run because of rooster possibility) . Adult birds are at $200 and up. I read that some can be as high as 2k. I have not seen such though. The pullet that I am anticipating getting will not be perfect,(show quality) but the price will be around $35. I just luv ornamentals. I just want one.

The hatcheries are getting around $5 per chick, straight run. McMurry is sold out for the year. Others do have them, but you need to buy a minimum of 15 chicks, so your cost is around $100 for total order with shipping. These chicks are rather fragile, so not all arrive in good health, (if you can read between the lines here). I think you can hatch a batch and raise them for about 1 to 2 weeks and sell them as Started chicks. Sell locally and ask $15 each. Would that sound fair to you??? Peeps looking to buy just 1 or 2 should not expect them to be cheap. Started chicks are a safer buy , because they are past the initial survival stage.

I was suggesting price if they were just hatchery grade. If yours turn out to be show grade, and very possibly may be, then the higher price is justified and achievable.
smile.png

Hi all,

Jumping in this thread because I'm also interested in buying some Black Sumatras and breeding for breed preservation. While I have more questions than answers on the breed, I have learned a little I think can contribute here.

To answer some questions about show quality Sumatras, I have read in my brief research that purple shine in the black feathers will disqualify a bird. The judges need to see green shimmer in the black feathers.
Also, the breed standard requires something called a full throat, which gives the head a more circular shape instead of a long-beaked profile. And then there needs to be a cluster of exactly three spurs on each leg of the Roo.

I'm hoping to obtain some good stock from McMurray hatchery to start with. I don't believe there is anyone in the South-Eastern Pennsylvania area that keeps such birds that I could get verified bloodlines from, but those at McMurray feature the black skin, whereas, I have seen some hatcheries advertising "Sumatras" with pale faces and the occasional discolored feather.

Also, having a lower selling price for your birds may encourage others to buy and preserve the breed. Whereas, having a higher price will get you only buyers more serious about raising a rarer breed for show. I would say, take the price of a common laying hen and raise that to a price you would feel comfortable buying an exotic bird for, including the time/effort/feed you put into them.

Very nice someone gave you the birds! I would consider being given pure-bred chickens a very fine and considerate gift, myself. :D

Best of luck to you in raising your Sumatras!
Laurisa

I was suggesting price if they were just hatchery grade. If yours turn out to be show grade, and very possibly may be, then the higher price is justified and achievable.
smile.png
Could you please explain how hatchery grade is different from what you call show grade? Wouldn't some hatcheries have a good bloodline of breeding stock that they are selling? In order to get a show quality bird would I have to buy from a "breeder"??
Thanks in Advance

Not familiar with the Sumatra breed. Took me 4 months to identify Stitches breed. Stitch is 5 months old but I can't figure out if a puller or roo. I didn't order stitch, came as an extra chick

Attachments

• 20170812_180052.jpg
    20170812_180052.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170812_180057.jpg
    20170812_180057.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170812_180054.jpg
    20170812_180054.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom