Black Sumatras Owners!!

blueberrysilky

Chirping
Jul 28, 2015
Archdale, NC
Wednesday i was offered a pair of Black Sumatras, I took the birds faster than the guy offering could get his words out. He only asked one thing of me, he said that he wanted me to preserve the breed. He asked that I would keep the bloodlines straight, and not let any crossbreeding occur.
What's your story? Why do you raise Black Sumatras?

Personal Question: Should I register my birds to atract buyers? (In the future)

Hello all,

I have had the Sumatras for some time now, and I have been taking best of care I can of them. I recently took them to a show, (December 17th, 2016) and showed the pair I was given, not really expecting much. They were entered into the "All Other Standard Breed Class" and came out Reserve Grand Champion of the Standard Breed Class. Which is all chickens, excluding Bantams. I was really in awe, yet very proud of my ALMOST champions.

My advice to you, especially if you are getting Hatchery stock, is to feed them a high protein feed, this will make their poop stink, which is more blessing than bane. Their poop giving off an amonia smell means that their bodys have plenty of protein, more than it can deal with, which will be changed to ammonia. Protein stimulates feather development as well as feather maintenance. I feed my chickens a 18-22% Protien feed from Southern States, either Southern States Super Breeder (18%) or Southern States Specialty Flock (22%). I prefer the 22% one ( I say that because I honestly don't know which one is which percentage), but either feed is perfect for Sumatra feather development.

As far as your genetics, a SOP Sumatra will have little to no reddish coloring in the comb and wattles, although a little is OK. My reccomendation is to take the hens, and pick out you best ones from the hatchery, sell the others if you aren't attached to them (trust me I feel you there) and get you a new, decent rooster. The new rooster will replensh the bloodlines that the hatchery (may have) ruined through inbreeding. Use the eggs from your flock to hatch chicks, which can be reintroduced into your flock, these will be the roosters daughters which is OK to inbreed 1-2 generations. (If you can breed granddaughters to the father, skipping a generation creates extra genetic diversity) And if you continue to grow you flock, freshen up with a new rooster.

I wish the best of luck to you, and I hope my information can help. I live in the Peidmont region of NC, and the people at the show said they hadn't seen Sumatras in 40 years at shows, and really encouraged me to enter the birds in the State fair, and I recommend entering your birds in as many shows as possible, you can learn A LOT of information from locals at shows, and even get some great offers for your birds! I sold a rooster my hens had hatched for 75 dollars after the person saw the father!!

Last edited:
Quote: Going to a breeder would be a shortcut to getting birds that approach the SOP. (standard of perfection) These are the show quality that bring in HIGH$$$. Also it should be noted that a pair of Show Quality birds do not automatically produce ALL perfect of-springs. There will be some great birds and some just average and not at SOP. Hatcheries breed what they can , so their quality will be less than a select breeder. You can become a breeder yourself, and breed , and select the ones to further your line. This may take quite some time and research to achieve your desired result. That is how breeders do it and it is a lot of work. I can direct you to some threads that dealt with this subject. Or search them out yourself here on BYC.
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you both, Cavemanrich and Blueberrysilky,
Very helpful. So glad your birds placed well Blueberrysilky!
I have never shown before but I am very interested in showing Sumatras.

I'm not new to breeding chickens, but I raised Buff Orphingtons prior and they are very easy birds and I had a really really awesome Roo. I had a lot of guys snatching up the Roos I would post for sale and I feel at the time I really didn't know quite what caliber I had there.

I found this SOP guide which I will link here for anyone else looking for what a judge might require of a show Sumatra.

http://www.longtail-fowl.com/sumatra-2.html

I am on the lookout for any breeders nearby to furnish a good bloodline or two. Wait...I am literally stalking BYC for someone willing to sell a good Sumatra! :D

I'm inclined to say you have a roo. The tail feathers look like they are starting to form that beautiful distinct plume. :thumbsup
Another clue, is he came as an extra. Any Sumatra , even hatchery stock are prized possessions. Pullets are usually priced kind of high, and availability tends to be somewhat limited. (or you have to order well in advance)
I wonder what kind of chicken you would get if crossed with a Ayam Cemani, or Swart hona hen.????
WISHING YOU BEST.:highfive:

Very nice for the person to give you these birds. Assess to see if these chickens are show quality. Breeding such would naturally bring in more cash. I don't have show quality birds, just some chickens as pets. I also do not breed them since I cant keep any roosters.
I think after you see what you have. (show quality, or regular) you can make a judgment as to how you want to breed them.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

These are my birds, how do I know wether my birds are show quality? Right now I only have these two, but plan to grow the number to 8-10 birds. And, these birds are pretty young. The birds I have were hatched by broody hens, in fact all of this guys birds were.

Last edited:
They SURE ARE BEAUTIFUL.... Breed them and then enter them in a show. There are shows all over the country, so there most likely is one somewhere near you. There may be peeps that specialize in that breed , so they would be more helpful to you than I.
smile.png

So that's how you figure out wait "grade" your birds are. I had NO clue, Thanks! You are so much help, thanks for replying to my thread I've posted 2 already! Can you post pics of your hens, I would love to see! And can't WAIT to see what I have, again THANKS!!!!!

I don't have any Sumatras, but I'm expecting a Ayam Cemani hen sometime soon. It will be a non show variety, and I am getting it a a VERY REASONABLE price. I only keep chickens as pets. Look at my pix and you can see I like an assortment.

Back
Top Bottom