black sunflower seeds

shell3

Songster
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Hertfordshire England
hi guys, ive heard loads about boss but today i found some black sunflower seeds in the store that are intended for wild birds, is this the same? can i give them to the chickens? they have shells on. if not i'll just put them on the bird table for wild birds instead. thanks

That's what I buy for my chickens. They eat them excitedly, shell and all. It did take them a little while to get used to them, though. As with many nnew foods, they seem afraid and hesitant at first.

Possibly the same. Local wild bird supplier markets multiple types of sunflower types. Some are like those used for table, some are black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) and some look intermediate and may even be ornamentals of some sort. My birds eat any and all but my preference is to use BOSS owing to what I perceive to be a higher oil content and less husk per unit ingested.

what yal think about the Royal Wing brand in the orange bag from TSC ? says on bag .. not for human consumption....
I would like to sprout some... so where is the best place to find some so I can sprout them too.....???
thamks yall

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom