black sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shell3, Nov 16, 2013.

1. shell3

shell3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    hi guys, ive heard loads about boss but today i found some black sunflower seeds in the store that are intended for wild birds, is this the same? can i give them to the chickens? they have shells on. if not i'll just put them on the bird table for wild birds instead. thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's what I buy for my chickens. They eat them excitedly, shell and all. It did take them a little while to get used to them, though. As with many nnew foods, they seem afraid and hesitant at first.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Possibly the same. Local wild bird supplier markets multiple types of sunflower types. Some are like those used for table, some are black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) and some look intermediate and may even be ornamentals of some sort. My birds eat any and all but my preference is to use BOSS owing to what I perceive to be a higher oil content and less husk per unit ingested.

4. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    what yal think about the Royal Wing brand in the orange bag from TSC ? says on bag .. not for human consumption....
    I would like to sprout some... so where is the best place to find some so I can sprout them too.....???
    thamks yall

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I believe the stuff sold for birds to eat is treated to prevent sprouting.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Mine sprouts.

1 person likes this.
  7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

where do you get it? What's the brand name? I've been looking for some to sprout

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All suppliers of my BOSS have seeds that sprout. Is it possible you got a very old batch once?

9. CrossedSabers

CrossedSabers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    I got a 50# bag of BOSS at the local farm store and they sprouted nicely. First time I tried sprouting. My flock of 20 chickens was suspicious of the new food at first, but eventually decided it was OK to eat.

Here's a link to the blog post I wrote about my experiences sprouting BOSS. Hope this helps!

http://crossedsabersranch.blogspot.com/2014/04/sprouts.html

Renee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by