Black Swans Nesting!

HappyAcresFarm

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 7, 2015
Monmouth County NJ
Hey guys and gals,

Our pair of black Aussies began building a nest on their island a few days ago, today on my way past I noticed a large egg on the ground about 5ft away from the unfinished nest. I know the female can take a few weeks to lay a full clutch but the weather is forecasted to drop into the single digits this week and winter is far from over here in central NJ... I’d hate for the egg or eggs to freeze and die. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’d love to document and share our experience if anyone’s interested!

Cheers!

Given the cold weather that is coming, I would be tempted to bring the egg inside - that is if you can get it without being attacked. Hopefully it has not frozen. I think that the forecasted temperatures for Wed. - Fri. would surely ruin any eggs.

Ok so I was able to distract mom and dad with treats and rescue the egg.. it isn’t frozen yet and I’ve witnessed the parents courting so I’m assuming it’s viable. Any recommendations on an incubator for a novice like myself? I know proper humidity is important when incubating waterfowl. Thanks again!

I know very little about Black swans but @bdfive can be of great assistance. She doesn't always come on here anymore, I'll send her a text and let her know about this thread.

Hey guys and gals,

Our pair of black Aussies began building a nest on their island a few days ago, today on my way past I noticed a large egg on the ground about 5ft away from the unfinished nest. I know the female can take a few weeks to lay a full clutch but the weather is forecasted to drop into the single digits this week and winter is far from over here in central NJ... I’d hate for the egg or eggs to freeze and die. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’d love to document and share our experience if anyone’s interested!

Cheers!
I have a solution, send the egg to me, LOL!!!

Hate to tag onto this thread, but it’s the most recent black swan post so thought I might give it a try. Does anyone know where or how to get black swan eggs to incubate? Thanks!!

Seldom to never do you see hatching swan eggs. Once saw some for $50 each. Most owners let their swans hatch and raise the cygnets then sell the young at about a year old.

Hey guys and gals,

Cheers!
Hey guys and gals,

Cheers!
I have no experience with swan nest under the freezing temperatures but I believe they know what they are doing. But one thing you can do to throw in more hays by the nest and put the egg in and cover with a layer of hay. The place where I live the temperature can reach 100 degree the pair will cover the egg with their body from the sun before it damage the egg and embryo. I hope it helps. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom