Black, Tarry Poo???

Our ducks cleared up. They kind of cycle through depending in what they eat. Our ducks get to free range on over a half acre and we have 5 ducks. They get a lot of bugs and a few toads! As long as they continue to lay eggs, clear eyes, bill, no cough. Feathers look good, no weight loss then just ride it out. Can't go wrong with giving them vitamin water daily until they are back to custard texture poo!

Our ducks cleared up. They kind of cycle through depending in what they eat. Our ducks get to free range on over a half acre and we have 5 ducks. They get a lot of bugs and a few toads! As long as they continue to lay eggs, clear eyes, bill, no cough. Feathers look good, no weight loss then just ride it out. Can't go wrong with giving them vitamin water daily until they are back to custard texture poo!

Thank you for the update. I appreciate it. It seems my ducks' sticky poop has mostly passed as well. Good idea to give them vitamins, I haven't done that in a while (just a little brewer's yeast in their food).

Yes once a day most birds pass the icky poo...no worries if it goes on it may be something they are getting into...keep em out of mud and stagnant water. when I say mud...not the normal messes they make...places they shouldn't be like runoff areas or areas getting water and sunshine...it can be dangerous for ducks...bloom in water and low hot shallow watersheds and creeks can kill in two days..botulism usually and happens even in the wild every year. There is a quick remedy to flush their systems with epson salt solution and/or mollasses solution...but that another topic...I don't think this is your case. BUT something else i noticed over the years and I don't use for waterfowl in my mixes is Barley...this made for messy poos consistently when added to duck rations. I don't know why I tried feeding it to them...likely some article...but never fed it since...did anyone else ever have this experience? jus curious! T

The poops are not gone yet, I was wrong. I just gave them some water with vitamins and electrolytes.

We live in a very dry climate with well drained soil. So I don't think there's mud (although I'm still not quite sure what kind of mud you are talking about) and stagnant water around. They play in the spot where the rain gutters drain, but that water doesn't hang around for more than a day before it all drains away.

Keeping a close eye on them for any changes in behavior.

Back
Top Bottom