Black toes!!!!???!!!

Jen F

Songster
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Western/ Central KY
Well I am no quail expert, but I love hearing them so I decided to get some to hatch and keep around or maybe let some go also... I have got a plot fixed with some seed that I got from a friend that is in quail unlimited.
Anyways... I have about 19 bob white quail that are about 4 weeks old. I noticed thata 3 have 1 to several black shriveled-up toes. I am a nurse and the toes that I've seen like that were from vascular disease. I have no idea about young quail. They are outside now in a small pen, but were inside when this started.
Any similar stories or opinions are much appreciated.

BLACK AND SHRIVELED? YOU MEAN TOTALLY NECROTIC?

THIS USUALLY HAPPENS FROM INJURY IN BOBS. THEY ARE VICIOUS TOE/ FOOT/ ANKLE PECKERS... ITS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE FOR BOBS. THEY LIKE THE HOBBLE APPROACH. SEEMS ITS HARD TO OUTRUN YOUR BULLY IF YOU LIMP BAD ENOUGH~ THUS THE BEATINGS CAN CONTINUE WITHOUT UNDUE PHYSICAL EXERCISE OF CHASING YOUR OPPONENT. THE ONLY OTHER TYPES OF INJURY I HAVE SEEN CAUSE THIS WAS LIGATURE INJURIES... I HAVE SEEN CHICKS GET TANGLED IN THREAD OR EVEN HUMAN HAIR AND IT CUT OFF BLOOD SUPPLY IN THE EFFECTED TOE. GIVEN YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES YOU LIST HERE WITH IT BEING MULTIPLE BIRDS AND MULTIPLE TOES I'D GO WITH THE TOE PECKER SCENARIO AS MOST LIKELY. YOU NEED TO FIND AND SEPERATE THE OFFENDING PARTY/ PARTIES OR IT WILL CONTINUE AND IT WILL ESCALATE.

AS A SIDE LINE HERE... NOT TRYING TO MEDDLE, SIMPLY INFORM= CHECK WITH KYF&WC AS THEY HAVE SEVERELY STRINGENT LAWS ON GAMEBIRDS BOTH IN CAPTIVITY AND RELEASE. IF NOT RAISED PROPERLY THEY WILL CONDEMNED TO A QUICK DEATH IN THE WILD AND IF RAISED PROPERLY +/-2% WILL SURVIVE TO BREEDING AGE... SO YOU MAY WISH TO JUST BUILD THEM A PEN AND ENJOY THEM THERE
thumbsup.gif
GOOD LUCK WITH THEM

Back
Top Bottom