Black Tongue Sore?

lowfatyogurt914

Hatching
Nov 18, 2022
I thought for a while that this hen had been getting bullied, because she had a bare spot on her back. Now today I saw her standing at the top of the roost in the middle of the day. She was breathing heavily and her breaths were raspy and gurgles.

Upon further inspection I saw that her tongue was sticking all the way out of the side of her beak. Her face looked bloody and when we opened her beak to look inside there seemed to be some sort of dark mass/abscess/sore/growth.

We're pretty sure this isn't canker, but is does seem like some sort of respiratory disease. We want to try and find out what it is so we can protect or treat the rest of the flock. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Resized952022111895142334.jpg
    Resized952022111895142334.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Resized952022111895142223.jpg
    Resized952022111895142223.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 17
Is a vet possible? Can you look to see if something might have gotten wrapped around her tongue? Is her tongue drying out? Could she have gotten pecked and injured inside the beak? I would try to clean her beak out with water, to see what is going on. She may need to be syringe fed, or tube fed until her tongue is back to normal.

I thought for a while that this hen had been getting bullied, because she had a bare spot on her back. Now today I saw her standing at the top of the roost in the middle of the day. She was breathing heavily and her breaths were raspy and gurgles.

Upon further inspection I saw that her tongue was sticking all the way out of the side of her beak. Her face looked bloody and when we opened her beak to look inside there seemed to be some sort of dark mass/abscess/sore/growth.

We're pretty sure this isn't canker, but is does seem like some sort of respiratory disease. We want to try and find out what it is so we can protect or treat the rest of the flock. Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry your going through this. Strength to you my friend. 💕

Looks as if maybe she could've been attacked by her flock mates. Apparently a chicken will rip the tongue out of another bird.
Little Cluckers they can be. I swear if I didnt spend so much time with them, they would have killed my poor chicken Patient, always runnin' her off. I have 5 hens total and they can be wicked to one another. Some times people will take the bully and put them in a little prison for a day or two. I havnt had to do that but jeeesh! good luck

Little Cluckers they can be. I swear if I didnt spend so much time with them, they would have killed my poor chicken Patient, always runnin' her off. I have 5 hens total and they can be wicked to one another. Some times people will take the bully and put them in a little prison for a day or two. I havnt had to do that but jeeesh! good luck
I take bullies, & put them into a coop with more assertive breeds. Sometimes it's a permanent move, or for a week, or so, then put them back with the original flock.

The swelling(red blob), is due to the salivary gland being damaged, in which there's no fix for. Often times, it'll grow so large, that the bird will just have to be put down.

You mentioned that it could possibly be a respiratory disease; what other symptoms, if any, are you observing?

Not sure what's happening with your hen, almost like the Glottis and Larynx have been pulled out, but very hard to tell. This would cause her to have difficulty breathing.
Still puzzled over exactly what we are seeing.

Salivary glands are on the roof of the beak.

Back
Top Bottom