Black vs Blue Swedish duckling identification

You can tell black from blue at hatch and yes, yours is black. Here is a picture of a blue Swedish mix duckling I hatched two weeks ago. Mine is much lighter.
View attachment 3100262
I just got 3 Swedish Duckings last Tuesday at a day old
Mine are purebred silver and blue x silver

Attachments

• 44865B92-7583-466F-BC17-134D09A35AE1.jpeg
    44865B92-7583-466F-BC17-134D09A35AE1.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 10
So I was excited to see when I got home that a mystery egg I literally found half in the water of like, the only river in this state, hatched this afternoon. This after he spent 48 hours just chilling and being smug inside his egg and finally getting me worried last night.
Anyways, Best ya girl here can tell, it's a Swedish duckling. However with the down being so dark I would think Black Swedish. However, he's got a fair bit of yellow on his bill. But his lil cheesy flappers (Feet) are pretty much pure black.
How long after hatching does the distinction between blue and black Swedish become apparent?
I have heard they are a very tame breed
I just got 3 a week ago
So far they are very relaxed little ducklings

I just got 3 Swedish Duckings last Tuesday at a day old
Mine are purebred silver and blue x silver
Adorable! The duck in my avatar is a crested Silver Swedish and my ducklings mother. She is calm and sweet. Having two blue alleles makes silver, one blue makes blue, and no blue makes black. So, are yours one of each?

I am keeping this duckling. She is the sister to the blue in the earlier picture. I believe she is lavender, having blue from mom and brown from her Khaki/Appleyard dad.

CBE4C26B-8C6D-4C13-9831-5EF54EE88821.jpeg

Adorable! The duck in my avatar is a crested Silver Swedish and my ducklings mother. She is calm and sweet. Having two blue alleles makes silver, one blue makes blue, and no blue makes black. So, are yours one of each?

I am keeping this duckling. She is the sister to the blue in the earlier picture. I believe she is lavender, having blue from mom and brown from her Khaki/Appleyard dad.

View attachment 3100291
Very cute! I recently moved due to getting a position at an astronomy observatory and raising and even occasional wildlife rehabilitation has always been a pet passion of mine. I was a bit worried when I moved here about what I would do now but the town I live in allows farm animals as long as they're in an enclosure. So I just took it as a sign left by hashem to do what I like both work wise and at home~

I think I'll call it safflower. I'll have to order hatching eggs though so that it won't be totally alone.

View attachment 3100291
The lady I got mine from has
3 dark blue moms and 1 silver mom and 1 silver drake that breeds all 4 ladies
I have one darker blue
One that’s light like Smokey colour and the yellow but it’s not like my Pekin ducks yellow

View attachment 3100291
My yellow looks a lot like this one
She has blue eyes yet both her parents have brown

Attachments

• 2C90404C-5E16-4AC9-9388-4D82248C9E05.png
    2C90404C-5E16-4AC9-9388-4D82248C9E05.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 11
The lady I got mine from has
3 dark blue moms and 1 silver mom and 1 silver drake that breeds all 4 ladies
I have one darker blue
One that’s light like Smokey colour and the yellow but it’s not like my Pekin ducks yellow
That's a great combination! I hear there aren't many breeding pairs of swedish ducks left so I might have to look into getting this one a companion. I'm not sure of the sex yet. I'll save it for another day when it's rested up a bit.

That's a great combination! I hear there aren't many breeding pairs of swedish ducks left so I might have to look into getting this one a companion. I'm not sure of the sex yet. I'll save it for another day when it's rested up a bit.
That’s what the lady I got mine from said
They are becoming more rare

Back
Top Bottom