Black walnut collecting

Well, I have always read that, about the toxins. We have enough land that I could plant it away from everything I want to live, but that is good to know about horses b/c although we don't have any now, we may someday, we have a big field and that is where I was thinking of planting the walnut trees, around the edge. I just think though that there is a reason they don't grow around here...we had them all over at our other house but the soil here is different. I'll think about it...maybe I'll just eat em. Hickory is a good wood to sell, too, and that is what we are banking on, if we ever need to.

I dont collect to eat them just to sell and make a little money we tried one year and they where not good guess we did something wrong. I heard you can dump a bunch in a driveway run over them to rid them of there husk then let them dry. Once they dry use a hammer or rock to bust them open. I have also heard about them being worth money, so i will be planting some on a corner of the new land where trying to get. One thing my dad found out is they will only take a particular size and they want it free of limbs for most of the trunk going up. I know there toxic to tomato plants and cedar trees but not horses.

we have a walnut tree, or two over in the small park that is a 2 second walk from us.
I never knew they were there til a neighbor pointed them out. I have 2 walnuts from the tree. But havent been over there to check it out in a bit.

Yeah, you cant even have black walnut shavings in their stalls. They are THAT toxic.
Some big farm lost 10 horses a few years ago when they fenced in a new pasture and didnt check what kind of trees etc were on it before they turned the horses out. 2 of the horses ended up with severe laminitis and 8 others coliced bad enough that they just couldnt be saved

Last edited:
The green shell used to make our dog vomit. She thought they were tennis balls and we kids were happy to oblige her by tossing them. After a game of "fetch the walnut" she would almost always heave up her lunch. My parents finally made us quit. They said the green shell was toxic. Dunno if it's true with all dogs or if they were just tired of dealing with a sick dog.
sickbyc.gif

horses absorb the acid through their feet and it will kill them dead. we have a bunch and are trying to kill them. they do kill everything you plant near them. we lost tons of young trees. the roots are acidic as well.

lumber men will not come and get them because the acid wrecks their equipment. we have girdled them and still can't kill them. unless they are 20 foot high with no limbs, they are not useful in the furniture, gun making etc industries.

the nuts fall and get filled with maggots, which the chickens love, but grow adult maggots...FLIES.

they just aren't always all they're cracked up to be...pun intended.

we use them to throw at each other for fun, along with horse apples. yeah, we're not right.

Back
Top Bottom