Black Widows!!!

I would imagine if a chicken actually ate it, she would die. And note to self if a black widow bites you, you will not feel the bite. Then you will get symptoms of muscle cramps, nausea, and head ache approximately 30 mins later then a coma. And within much time after that if you don't get a black widow anti venom shot you could pass away. I would take black widow problems seriously. My aunt got bit when she was a child and it almost killed her. Seven spray may work. And spray it around water hydrants and the sides of buildings. Also this winter when the spiders are dormant remove any old wood piles and garbage from your property. As well in the coop permethrin mite spray is safe for chickens and it will kill spiders. Just don't let the permethrin get into water systems, it can harm fish.

Oh, I have been wondering about this too. In our yard there are soo many black widows. I do let my chickens take care of it though. I usually squish the ones that aren't in the coop. I have never been bitten, but in Oklahoma, I guess there are tons of black widows.

Poison is never the answer, remember the first insecticides were developed to exterminate the jews. I for one think its time to stop the madness. When you poison that spider you poison alot of other things, things your chickens will eventually eat, then you and your children eat those eggs and with enough time that chemical just keeps adding up and bingo bango you got a retarded grandchild. So go ahead add a little cyanide to that omelet.

Quote:
Yes! This is what I've been doing for several years, I got guineas to deal with ticks and they dealt with them and every other bug, bee, spider, or snake.

I have guineas and my chickens free-range. I still have spiders and black widows. I found a black widow behind some huge flower pots near my pool. I grabbed the closest spray, which happened to be wasp spray, and doused the black widow. She shook it off and didn't seem affected by it. That's when I grabbed a stick and squished her.

Black Widows are not as bad as most people think. I got this from the California CDC at http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html

How dangerous are black widow spider bites?
If a black widow spider bites a person, do not panic! No one in the United States has died from a black widow spider bite in over 10 years. Very often the black widow will not inject any venom into the bite and no serious symptoms develop. Wash the wound well with soap and water to help prevent infection.

If muscle cramps develop, take the patient to the nearest hospital. Some victims, especially young children, may be admitted overnight for observation and treatment. There is treatment for a black widow spider bite that can take care of the symptoms. Various medications are used to treat the muscle cramps, spasms and pain of a bite. Black widow spider antivenin is seldom necessary.

I heard one time that Black Widows were more dangerous in the outhouse days when people got bit in more sensitive areas. My grandma grew up on a homestead in North Dakota and they were always warned about outhouse spiders.

Has anyone used diatomaceous earth for their spider problems?? I did a good walk through my yard today and it seems to be infested more then it's ever been. I know we need spiders and I'm ok with the ones I can't see, but having them everywhere and not being able to identify all the poisonous ones with little kids running around doesn't make me feel to good. Anyway...I have a huge bag of diatomaceous earth and before I go to the effort of sprinkling it everywhere at 9 months pregnant I'd like to know my effort will be worth it.

Quote:
I totally agree!!! I HAtE spiders!!!! I don't think there are any poisonous siders where I live (London, ENGLAND) if I am wrong please say!!! My chickens (all of two) adore spiders and pull most of the legs off before they eat it!!!

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but you do have BWs in NY State. I have personally witnessed it, with the spiders being positively ID'd by the DEC.

Back
Top Bottom