Black Widows!!!

LindsaySinai

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
San Diego
I just found a HUGE black widow in the hen house. Besides being 8 months pregnant and not to keen on the idea of being bit myself...can my hens get bit and injured. I killed the spider but when there's one there's always more. Can I hose down the inside then spray spider killer or can that injure the hens???

Black widows are territorial. There should not be another, unless she laid eggs (she's already eaten her mate).

I would think that the chickens would take care of them. I don't think that I would want to spray any poisons around my hens
big_smile.png

If u killed her, great. Be careful I am afraid of those as well u should be also. I would not spray around my birds but u can put down a poison for them high on a ledge or dark corner...well protected from the birds.

We have black widows under everything you turn over. Never been a problem with my birds. I do spray them with Frontline spray for dogs and cats.

I hate spiders. when I bought my house it was infested. I used a propane torch to "Dust" for them once a week around the boards and walls in the basement till they quit making webs. the nice part about the torch is you don't have to be able to see the little ones. they just make a "Snap" noise when you get them
smile.png
this is great along cement block footing walls.

just an FYI, if you have wood chips or anything flammable don't use this method. clean it up first or you could get your self in a mess quickly.

Yeti, you just made my day. Now whenever I look at those torches for yard clean up, I'll think of you and little popping noises. And tiny little spider screams.

Sevin, unless directly applied to the widows is unlikely to kill them. You need to use a poison that is specifically formulated for them. less potent poisons will, however reduce their food source and MAY cause them to move elsewhere.

Yes, they are territorial, but their territory is very small. Even in a small coop there can be several "territories." Best way to kill a widow is with a hammer or boot. Yes, they can harm your birds if they bite them.

I have had several birds die from widow bites. I saw, either get a spray that is non-toxic to humans and pets (go to a garden store, they'll probably have something like that, or look online) or just be very vigilant. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom