Gnats around chicken legs?

Melgug

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
I’m not sure if they are buffalo gnats. They are just super tiny little flies that seem to swarm around the chickens legs. Can’t tell if they are being bit. Either way, how can I manage these little flies? We also have large black house flies all over which I have bought traps for. Any ideas to manage flies besides cleaning up poop obviously are much appreciated.

I’m not sure if they are buffalo gnats. They are just super tiny little flies that seem to swarm around the chickens legs. Can’t tell if they are being bit. Either way, how can I manage these little flies? We also have large black house flies all over which I have bought traps for. Any ideas to manage flies besides cleaning up poop obviously are much appreciated.
I don't know what to do about the gnats, but for flies in the coop, we use PT Alpine. My sister who raises turkeys commercially got me onto that. It's pricey but that was 5 years ago and I still have half of a can. We spray one squirt/dot on each side of the window where they congregate once per month and that keeps the coop fly free. We use food grade diatamaculous earth on the coop floor, which is horse pellets, and in the nest boxes and dust baths. The pellets keep the poops dehydrated so that helps with flies/bugs too.

Attachments

• fly bait.jpg
    fly bait.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom