FLYS

jaredrah777

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
need some good suggestions!! i keep my chickens on the side of my house they have there main living quarters which unfortunately is on outdoor tiles and then they have more walking area on the backside of the house where it’s mainly dirt and rocks. The fly problem is starting to get bad unfortunately and i definitely need some suggestions! As of now im planning on buying the vanilla trees car scent’s! and hanging them along the fencing along with some of the fly trap tapes. I also saw someone on here swearing by some PT ALPINE SPRAY. If the car scents and tapes dont work might try those out next!

The fact that they poop on a hard surface and it sits there doesn’t help the cause at all ive been spray housing the surface every morning to get rid of poop and excess food and debris to clean their main living quarters but i dont know doesn’t seem to be helping!

ill add a picture of where i keep them to help with ideas! (ignore the makeshift screen fencing lol someone’s currently working on stuff back there so as of now im keeping them in the little tile area until there done which shouldn’t be for more then 2hrs!)

Attachments

• IMG_2174.jpeg
    IMG_2174.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 41
The best thing we've ever found for flies was PT Alpine. It is expensive, but we bought our can about five years ago and still have half left.

What we do in our coop is spray a "dot" of it on either side of the window where the flies congregate and out of reach of chickens. Give it a few minutes; they'll all be dead. It lasts a month. Chickens can eat the dead flies no problem.

Attachments

• fly bait.jpg
    fly bait.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 5
I don't know where I got this tidbit, but I tried it in my run and I also hung one by my front door. I am seeing a lot less flies around both places. My chickens hang out under our front porch.

Regular Irish Spring bar soap. I put it in mesh bag and hang it in front of my pop door (out of reach of chickens) and from my front porch lamp. Flies are considerably less - greatly reduced. The post I read on this stated that flies simply hate the smell. It has to be the original scent.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom