Giving up on free ranging chickens

Sorry, I missed this.

I have two adjoining run areas:
  • 10' by 16' by 3'+ high under the coop with a 10' log swing & twisted branch about 10' on the ground;
  • 12' by 15' HC cage/pole shed roofed with galvanized tin.
Summer run areas are HC open all round; winter everything is tarped except for the south side which is clear plastic sheeting.

I use 6-12" deep litter of mulch, leaves, bedding from coop, 12' log with branches, etc.

The flock gets the weather "around the edges" but are well sheltered. They spend the majority of daylight hours in the runs.

View attachment 3735950
Wow that looks amazing great set up!
Sorry, I missed this.

• 10' by 16' by 3'+ high under the coop with a 10' log swing & twisted branch about 10' on the ground;
Summer run areas are HC open all round; winter everything is tarped except for the south side which is clear plastic sheeting.

I use 6-12" deep litter of mulch, leaves, bedding from coop, 12' log with branches, etc.

The flock gets the weather "around the edges" but are well sheltered. They spend the majority of daylight hours in the runs.

View attachment 3735950
wow that’s an incredible setup! My husband built our hens a large run as well but they still want to go outside so I’ve put tons of netting up but they aren’t allowed outside that netted space anymore. I need to make their run more of an outdoor environment for them that might help too.

Aw man I’m so sorry I am very lucky to haven’t lost any yet which is seriously just pure luck because for the past year I let them free range I think the only reason the hawks didn’t attack my chickens is because I would be outside in the garden a lot but now I’m not outside hardly with the cold so their under a netted area or in their run since my neighbors chicken got killed by a red tail a few weeks ago..Yea our lab tried to snap at one of the hens when she was flying around and I think my dog thought she was a duck. My husband takes her hunting every fall so she was only doing what she’s been trained to do but I scolded her and she never did it again.
Thank you. Ironically my lab, a hunting breed, could care less about the chickens… just wants a ball or stick to fetch. Whereas the Pyrenees who are supposed to be protectors of livestock, is the one who cannot be trusted.

Thank you. Ironically my lab, a hunting breed, could care less about the chickens… just wants a ball or stick to fetch. Whereas the Pyrenees who are supposed to be protectors of livestock, is the one who cannot be trusted.
It took me a couple years to train my hounds to watch my chickens. (It doesn't happen overnight)

Last edited:
I was advised to train my dogs 2 years before leaving them alone with my chickens and it
worked. Best of luck to you!

I used to free range, then I only free ranged when I was home, then I only free ranged when I was out working in the yard....I lost lots of birds. It got so that I was in a constant state of alertness and stress over my hens. I rehomed my last 3 survivors and took a break.

This time around, I have a secure coop and run with enough space. The hens only free range on rare occasions, like when I am cleaning the coop and want them out of the way.

Life is so much less stressful. Now, when I hear my hens squawking, I don't launch myself out of the house prepared for war. I know they are secure from everything except a bear.

Also, I'm under the Eastern flyway of the USA for migratory birds. I work for Extension, and one of my coworkers is on a national response team for High Path Avian Influenza (HPAI). There was an outbreak of HPAI in Southern Pennsylvania over Christmas at a pheasant farm. This tells me HPAI is still a concern. Recently I've noted the geese are starting to fly over my house. HPAI is spread most heavily by wild water fowl. My hens will be staying locked up under the covered run at least until the spring migratory run ends in late May.

My girls live in Fort Knox now and they are fine. I am enjoying zero predators to worry about and zero rodents can get in to steal the feed now so I am saving $$ and my nerves. I am down to 3 girls now after preditor attacks and I am looking forward to this August when I bring in 6 RTL to add to my flock knowing they are protected. Yes sad at first but sadder to lose my girls to predators

I used to free range, then I only free ranged when I was home, then I only free ranged when I was out working in the yard....I lost lots of birds. It got so that I was in a constant state of alertness and stress over my hens. I rehomed my last 3 survivors and took a break.

This time around, I have a secure coop and run with enough space. The hens only free range on rare occasions, like when I am cleaning the coop and want them out of the way.

Life is so much less stressful. Now, when I hear my hens squawking, I don't launch myself out of the house prepared for war. I know they are secure from everything except a bear.

Also, I'm under the Eastern flyway of the USA for migratory birds. I work for Extension, and one of my coworkers is on a national response team for High Path Avian Influenza (HPAI). There was an outbreak of HPAI in Southern Pennsylvania over Christmas at a pheasant farm. This tells me HPAI is still a concern. Recently I've noted the geese are starting to fly over my house. HPAI is spread most heavily by wild water fowl. My hens will be staying locked up under the covered run at least until the spring migratory run ends in late May.
Yea I stopped free ranging and put up two sets of netting above them to be extra cautious. My chickens were escaping the netting so I had to put up another one and it stopped.
Didn’t know that about HPAI, we had a bird flu outbreak last summer in Michigan but thankfully it didn’t reach our county.

Howdy everyone just jumping on here to whine a bit! I’ve decided to officially not allow my chickens to free range and I’m sad about it. I know chickens are the happiest and healthiest when they have free access to lots of land which we have we live on 5 acres but now it’s become impossible. Our neighbors chicken got killed by a red tail hawk recently so I’ve been putting up bird netting over a smaller space by their coop and run so their not inside all day but I’ve seen about 8 hawks just in the past few weeks flying around hunting. Just can’t risk it anymore I wanted to let them free range but I can’t watch them be brutally killed by hawks. If I had tons of chickens maybe I wouldn’t be so paranoid but I only have 4 hens and two ducks currently. I am getting a few more chickens next month but I feel like a bad chicken owner because I’ve decided to stop the free ranging 😭There's just no way you can prevent attacks if their allowed to be free unfortunately. Even with the netting up if I see a hawk I put them inside I know that sounds silly but I love them too much. Anyone else feel this way??
I feel the same. Mine are in a half acre pen in the woods with fishing line and bird scare tape. I can't bear to keep them locked up in a small barren space. I've had chickens in this manner for 40 years but now that I'm retired (thanks covid) they get to free range for an hour or so every day WHILE I AM VERY NEARBY FOR THE ENTIRE TIME. I feel better knowing I gave them as much enjoyment in life as I could. Sometimes you lose some now matter haw hard you try but at least they had a good life. Some of my bantie silkies and silkie crosses have lived 12, 13, 15, 18, years. some only 6 to 10, some less.

Sorry, I missed this.

View attachment 3735950
Great outdoor run. Lucky birds

Up to a few years ago we had a Great Pyrenees named Freddie. He protected out livestock from ground and air predators, where ever the livestock went he followed. Sometimes Freddie would be laying quietly and have chicks snuggle up in his heavy fur. I think the hens would park the chicks with Freddie while they went off to free-range. The only problem I had was feeding Freddie. I had to feed him it night so the chickens wouldn't steal his food. He would always give up his food for the chickens to eat.

Back
Top Bottom