Lice and Permethrin 0.10%

Ponypoor

Professional Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
Seems I have this lice situation here - nasty creepy crawly things.

I can treat all the birds with Ivermectin, and I am fine with that - most are molting or just coming out of being broody or just old pensioners so they are not laying, thus egg withdrawl is not a problem for me.

My question is with spraying the hen house and nest boxes, I wish to spray with Permethrin 0.10% which is about all I can get here in Canada (as a fly spray for my horses).

Will that concentration be adequate enough for the killing of the blighters?

FYI - I found out about them when I started having the crawly things on me after handling one of my pullets - EWWW! I can only imagine what the poor wee birdies are going through.

I treated with Ivermectin and I used whatever I could find for mites and I think it would work for lice as well. Horse spray and home defence and garden spray..Change the bedding once a week and spray before replacing bedding. Put them outside and let it dry before bringing them back in. Pay attention to where they roost and the nest boxes. Switch to shavings away from hay and straw for now. Bath and dry them if you can too.

I treated with Ivermectin and I used whatever I could find for mites and I think it would work for lice as well. Horse spray and home defence and garden spray..Change the bedding once a week and spray before replacing bedding. Put them outside and let it dry before bringing them back in. Pay attention to where they roost and the nest boxes. Switch to shavings away from hay and straw for now. Bath and dry them if you can too.
I am gutting all the bedding tomorrow morning, and will dust with a lice powder. Then replace the shavings in the nest boxes and roosting ledges. I will spray the ledges and nest boxes daily to ensure nothing lives off the birds.

As it’s lice not mites thank goodness I am not so worried about the lice surviving off the birds for long.

I am just gobsmacked at how they are just crawling on my Azurs, the infestation must have just exploded in the past week as I never noticed them before now. If it hadn’t been for them crawling on me I would t have noticed at all. Ugh!

Pretty much the same treatment as mites. I'd cut off the egg sacks (nits) if you see any on the fluffy butts. We get fowl mites here not red mites thankfully. Lice I have had on goats I purchased and the Ivermectin and pyrethrin powder killed them fast.

Pretty much the same treatment as mites. I'd cut off the egg sacks (nits) if you see any on the fluffy butts. We get fowl mites here not red mites thankfully. Lice I have had on goats I purchased and the Ivermectin and pyrethrin powder killed them fast.
Likely not able to remove any nits, I don’t have anyone to help out, and at this point I am loath to pick them up again - I have finally stopped with the crawling feeling 😆

Just typing this is making me crawl again hahahaha.

Were do you get the pyrethrin powder? I used Bronco Equine fly spray on the Azurs as I figure they are ground 0 for this problem; they are from Freys so factory birds. I noticed the spray killed a lot of the lice on my Azurs, but they still had a load crawling around on their wings on their skin. If I don’t see any further die off I will spray the whole body, but it’s hard to get the spray under the feathers next to the skin 😟

I did manage to spray their vent area, and under both wings and on the back of the neck.

I don't spray my birds I get a big bucket and gently lower them into the bath water. I do it myself just steady the bird against the bucket with my one hand. They are in water up to their neck and I gently remove the crusts under the warm water. No rush just take your time, they come off easier as the water softens it. I've bought the powder at Canadian Tire in the garden section. Are you using Ivermectin? I'm not sure I would do the spray and ivermectin at the same time. Probably depends on the bird temperament as well, I have Orpingtons and they are really docile.

I don't spray my birds I get a big bucket and gently lower them into the bath water. I do it myself just steady the bird against the bucket with my one hand. They are in water up to their neck and I gently remove the crusts under the warm water. No rush just take your time, they come off easier as the water softens it. I've bought the powder at Canadian Tire in the garden section. Are you using Ivermectin? I'm not sure I would do the spray and ivermectin at the same time. Probably depends on the bird temperament as well, I have Orpingtons and they are really docile.
I did use ivermectin but it didn’t kill the lice at all. So I grabbed the Roo and sprayed him under his wings, behind his neck and on his butt/abdomen.it was quick and easy spraying - easier than I thought it would be.

I just checked him tonight and removed a whole slew of nit packets, he is molting so those feathers were easy to pluck out, they likely would have just fallen out but I wanted get as many as I could contained, and trash them.

Poor old boy is molting heavy, so I gave him some Tylenol he isn’t a very happy boy lately, lice and heavy molting poor old lad. Hopefully in about an hour or so he gets some pain relief for those miserable pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom