Black with white spot silkie?

luckiestck1

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
I got some paint silkie eggs and hatched a black chick with what seems to be a white spot. If it does keep white spot as it grows can i use it to breed reverse paint silkies? Black with white spots? And what colour to breed it to get that result

Have a pic of this chick?
Paint is just one copy of dominate white on black.
Usually one copy of dominate white will cover almost the whole bird with only specks or splotches showing.
Paint breeders have been breeding towards more black showing since the paints have been around.
Your reverse paint will still be the same genetically so just continue to breed it as a paint and only use the offspring with the most black to move forward with your project.
Since paints only have one gene for dominate white they don't breed true.
You have a few options.
Breed it to a black and get about 50% of the offspring being paints. The rest being black.
Breed it to a white and you'll still get about 50% paint offspring but the others will be white.
You can breed a pure white from that cross back to black for 100% paints. The pure white ones will have two dominate white genes so all offspring will get the one gene they need.
You can breed that paint to another paint and get 50% paint, 25% black and 25% white.
If it was me and these are just my thoughts.
There is something different about this chick that is letting way too much black leak through so I would want as many of its genes to move forward and I wouldn't want to bring in any other dominate white.
That way I know its white is all I'm working with.
Breed it to a black. Breed those offspring that are paints back to this chick and/or to each other.
After that pick the ones with the most black and continue breeding them to each other.
After a couple generations you can pick some of the pure white offspring and breed them to some new blacks to bring in new blood.
Just don't bring in new dominate white and don't breed any paints or blacks that show any other color leakage.
Again that's just my theory.

Have a pic of this chick?
Paint is just one copy of dominate white on black.
Usually one copy of dominate white will cover almost the whole bird with only specks or splotches showing.
Paint breeders have been breeding towards more black showing since the paints have been around.
Your reverse paint will still be the same genetically so just continue to breed it as a paint and only use the offspring with the most black to move forward with your project.
Since paints only have one gene for dominate white they don't breed true.
You have a few options.
Breed it to a black and get about 50% of the offspring being paints. The rest being black.
Breed it to a white and you'll still get about 50% paint offspring but the others will be white.
You can breed a pure white from that cross back to black for 100% paints. The pure white ones will have two dominate white genes so all offspring will get the one gene they need.
You can breed that paint to another paint and get 50% paint, 25% black and 25% white.
If it was me and these are just my thoughts.
There is something different about this chick that is letting way too much black leak through so I would want as many of its genes to move forward and I wouldn't want to bring in any other dominate white.
That way I know its white is all I'm working with.
Breed it to a black. Breed those offspring that are paints back to this chick and/or to each other.
After that pick the ones with the most black and continue breeding them to each other.
After a couple generations you can pick some of the pure white offspring and breed them to some new blacks to bring in new blood.
Just don't bring in new dominate white and don't breed any paints or blacks that show any other color leakage.
Again that's just my theory.
When I saw you replied to the thread I was excited to see your post. :pop

Then I saw your post... :wee
I really needed that, and bookmarked it for future reference. :thumbsup

Thank you! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom