Black?

YellaDog

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Cumberland Plateau
34972_picture_169.jpg

34972_49540011.jpg

We have many of these black pullets, all are about 15 wks old, some are solid black and the others have brown on their chest. The solid black have black legs so I think they are giants, but could either of them be black stars? The solid black ones have a green sheen and the ones with the brown on their chest have a beautiful purple sheen. The options according to what we ordered are black star, australorp, or giant.

My guess would be black stars. I got 50 last December. My birds range from solid black to all brown. The birds with mostly black have a pretty green/purple sheen to their feathers. Mine lay like crazy.
ya.gif
Cute pics, it looks like they want to know "just who do think YOU are, taking my picture!!!?"
lau.gif

I think the first 2 are definitely Australorps. The last looks like a black star. You can tell the difference because of their eyes.

I agree that the ones in the first picture are Australorps. Here is a picture of mine for comparison. The green sheen on the feathers gives it away.
smile.png
They are good chickens and supposed to be good layers.
28482_075.jpg

I also agree that the 2nd picture is a black sex link hen.

Last edited:
The first ones may be australorps (I wouldn't know), but all my black chickens have the green sheen, so the coloring really isn't a determining factor.

Both of these chickens are black sexlinks(black stars) and you can see the green on their feathers too.

blackstars-17weeks002.jpg

blackstars-17weeks003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom