Blackberries...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mangled, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all -

We're about to have a bumper crop of blackberries. I'm talking buckets. While the neighbor is using his to make homemade wine, we're wondering what to do with all of ours.

I'd like to can some preserves, but I've honestly never canned before. I have all the equipment.

Anyone have any ideas on canning, recipes, etc?

Thanks -
    Em

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We make enough jam with ours to last the year then freeze the rest for making pies, cobblers, coffee cakes, muffins, kolaches, parfaits and so on.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    For jam, I cook the berries until soft and cool until I can push through a fine mesh sieve (or you can use a food mill). Then for every cup of pulp add 2 cups of sugar - cook over medium low heat stirring frequently until it thickens and gets shiny. (it will gel on a frozen spoon)

Add to sterile jars and water bath 10 minutes. Be sure to use new seals - you don't reuse the seals. (You can reuse the jars and bands)

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    About to open myself to more teasing ... but DBF LOVES my blackberry jam and he's pouting until they come back in season and I make some more. Hopefully just a few more weeks.

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
  6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you can also wash and freeze the blackberries for baking and others things at a later date...

(it took me a minute there I thought you were talking about the phone...LOL time for a nap)

7. Quote:I agree with freezing some. I have heard that people with limited freezer space will can whole berries in simple syrup, then use them the same as fresh after straining the syrup. At any rate, we use our frozen ones all year round, in muffins, pies, cobblers, over pancakes/ waffles, in fruit salads, in smoothies, well you get the idea.

If you have more than you need, put an ad on craigslist or freecycle for the rest. Many people will buy or trade for fresh berries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by