Blackberries

VT Chick-lit

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
An Island In Lake Champlain VT
I am looking fro blackberry recipes. I Planted blackberries two years ago and we picked 6 pints this year.

I am also am trying to find out if blackberry canes can be cut back in the early spring (March) and fertilized with a 10-10-10 fertilizer in May so that the berries will ripen in the end of September, after the birds are gone. We treat our raspberries this way and we get a bumper crop each September-October. Our raspberries are ever bearing and we choose to skip the summer crop to avoid fighting the birds. There is so much knowledge on this site, I hope someone will know.

love black berries. Jelly is # 1 with me then black berry pie with or with out apples

but if you go to this link they list so many wonderful things.

http://www.homestead-farm.net/RecipeBlackberry.html

Black berry thump print cookies here .

Blackberry jelly in my oatmeal and yogurt

Black berry tarts yumm.

Can think alot of uses for them, but I dont eat them plain.

ML

tongue2.gif
They all sound so yummy!
thumbsup.gif

I thought black berries produced on 2nd year canes? At least the invasive type we have here does. Beat the plants up, shred them, take in machetes and one bird dropping = a field of blackberries and tons of berries the following year even after trying to kill it all.

I usually just turn it all in to juice. Toss 4 cups into a blender, strain, add one part water to the remaining seeds, blend, and add sugar to taste.

This is easy to whip up, I found it in Southern Living July issue...

Preheat oven to 375. Place 4 cups of fresh blackberries in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Stir together 1 large egg, 1 cup sugar ( I add alittle more sugar) and 1 cup all-purpose flour in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over fruit. Drizzle 6 Tbsp. melted butter over topping. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream. 6 servings

Blackberry-Almond Crumb Cake
From Cooking Light
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip … 47_1030852

Note* I used full fat ingredients, omitted the almond extract and upped the vanilla to 2 teaspoons. I added the extra egg yolk + 2 T. flour to the batter (saw no reason to waist it).
*I used half of an 8oz cream cheese +1T sugar.
*I also used frozen blackberries and blackberry jam instead of raspberries, it’s what I had on hand.

1-cup all-purpose flour
1/3-cup sugar
1/8-teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon baking soda
1/3-cup fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
Cooking spray
3 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg white
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1/3-cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/3-cup sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2-cup flour mixture for topping; set aside.

Combine remaining flour mixture, baking powder, and baking soda, and add sour cream, milk, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and egg white; beat at medium speed until blended. Spread evenly over batter; dot with preserves. Top with raspberries. Combine the reserved 1/2-cup flour mixture and almonds. Sprinkle crumb mixture over raspberries. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool on a wire rack.

BlackberryAlmondCrumbcake001.jpg

BlackberryAlmondCrumbcake002.jpg

If you have an ice cream maker, blackberry ice cream is aces. Sorry, I don't have a recipie off the top of my head- but if you do have an ice cream maker, it may have come with instructions to make the dessert itself.

Back
Top Bottom